Answered

Issue connecting Beam to Ones (Surrounds)

• 6 October 2020
  • 18 replies

I have a new Beam that I am trying to connect to 2 x Ones.

I think I have followed the instructions correctly, i.e.:

1. Under Products, I choose my Beam
  2. I click ‘+ Set Up Surrounds’

However, this is where I get stuck and keep getting the same message:

• ‘Two compatible Sonos speakers are required to add surrounds. Make sure your products are powered on and connected to WiFi’

The speakers are patently powered on and connected. I can play music through the two of the separately, but cannot for the life of me get them to connect.

Any advice?

icon

Best answer by John B 6 October 2020, 21:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

I’m having the exact issue now.  Grateful for any assistance. 

In the settings for each of the speakers is a setting for 'Enable WiFi' or 'Disable WiFi'. All must be set to Enable.

If they all are (they probably will be) then try powering off your router and your Sonos speakers.  Power up the router fully  then the Beam then the Ones.

This worked. Thanks

My thanks to @Airgetlam , who has reminded me more than once of this frequently-successful approach to this issue.

I’m happy if it works 90% of the time...but it does puzzle me as to how many routers get in this situation. Shouldn’t be possible, I think, but there it is. And doing that process eliminates a bunch of other potential things. So even if it doesn’t work, you can start honing in on the real issue :)

Thanks, guys. It does seem like I may be in the 10% for whom this doesn’t work. Figures :(

Any other advice for those of us in that boat?

The next possibility to explore is a fault on the Beam's wireless radio. Does the Beam itself connect wirelessly?

Thanks, John. 

The Beam connect fine and I am able to get them paired by using the app when the tv is on and manually adding them (see screen shot).

Still can’t add them directly, though

I don't really think this is relevant, but have you called all three speakers 'Living Room' ? It is best to give every speaker a different name.  The names given to the surrrouds will not appear once they have been bonded to the Beam. 

This may sound like a dumb question but do you need two (2) Sonos One SL’s to add them as surrounds to the beam? I have had a beam for a couple months now and just got one (1) Sonos One SL hoping I could add it as a surround sound speaker complimenting my beam but I continue to get the message below when trying to set it up as a surround.  

• ‘Two compatible Sonos speakers are required to add surrounds. Make sure your products are powered on and connected to WiFi’

I’ve tried the troubleshooting mentioned above but still doesn’t seem to work when trying to set up surround via 

I’m able to combined the speakers manually when watching tv through the app however I was hoping to ‘bond’ my beam and One SL as one system. Do I need to get another One SL?

Appreciate any advice or tips! 
Thanks!

The next possibility to explore is a fault on the Beam's wireless radio. Does the Beam itself connect wirelessly?

Yes, but still not working. Any other ideas?

Are all Sonos One models compatible with Beam (as the error message starts with “Two compatible Sonos speakers are required..”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This may sound like a dumb question but do you need two (2) Sonos One SL’s to add them as surrounds to the beam? I have had a beam for a couple months now and just got one (1) Sonos One SL hoping I could add it as a surround sound speaker complimenting my beam but I continue to get the message below when trying to set it up as a surround.  

I’ve tried the troubleshooting mentioned above but still doesn’t seem to work when trying to set up surround via 

I’m able to combined the speakers manually when watching tv through the app however I was hoping to ‘bond’ my beam and One SL as one system. Do I need to get another One SL?

Appreciate any advice or tips! 
Thanks!

Yes, you need a pair of speakers for surrounds. You can’t set up just one: there needs to be a Left Rear and a Right Rear. You can mix One and One SL. 

Are all Sonos One models compatible with Beam (as the error message starts with “Two compatible Sonos speakers are required to add surrounds”)?

Struggling over weekend with this issue and not able to connect my new Beam to 2 Ones following the above tips. @Sonos  This is very disappointing: what is the point of buying the soundbar from you if one can’t connect them to other Sonos speakers...?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You’ve jumped onto someone else’s thread here. What errors are you getting? If you tell us what is/isn’t happening perhaps we can help you. Are you trying to add surrounds? Or set up a stereo pair in a different room and then group the rooms? Or what?

Thanks. Having the same issue as the headline of this thread: “Issue connecting Beam to Ones (Surrounds)“. Getting that same error message as others:”Two compatible Sonos speakers are required to add surrounds. Make sure your products are powered on and connected to Wi-Fi.” All of them are connected to Wi-Fi and presumably all the Sonos Ones are compatible with Beam (and yes, I have 2 x Ones).  Tried rebooting the router, Beam and Sonos in the that sequence but did not help. Any other ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Just to be sure:

1/ When you reboot, the Sonos devices need to be powered down first. Once the router is fully restarted, and wifi is established, then power up the Beam. When that is connected, power up the first One. When that’s powered up (LED should go white) power the other. 
2/ In Settings / System under the room with the Beam, do you see roomname (+? +?) or what? 
3/ Have you got the Ones set as a stereo pair, assigned to a different room to the Beam?

I recently have had this issue too, having had no problems in the past connecting surrounds to my beam when I wanted them. Selecting “remove stereo pair” for the speakers I wanted to use as surrounds fixed it! This is not something I needed to do in the past, so something has changed. Hopefully this works for others who have encountered this issue.