Question

Is this true that ARC dosen't have HDMI pass-thorugh?

Badge

Hello Sonos and community,

I just had to cancel my pre-order for ARC, because after all these years of waiting and a steep price Sonos put on ARC we do not deseve to have an extra HDMI to be able to pass-though another device to not loose one of the HDMIs.

I can’t belive this, what was the thinking and the reason for this? Now for anyone who has more then 3 devices connected, they would have to deal with  a switch or what, wait another 7 years until Sonos will figure that you need to give the best to your customers to be the best.

I am still not sure if it’s true, since there are no inputs/outputs mentioned at product page and it’s unclear from imagines, but you in fact it’s true that you have only 1 HDMI in ARC, this is a major flow and  I can’t belive Sonos did it to us.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I just had to cancel my pre-order for ARC, because after all these years of waiting and a steep price Sonos put on ARC we do not deseve to have an extra HDMI to be able to pass-though another device to not loose one of the HDMIs.

I’m not sure I understand this statement.  Sounds like ‘deserve’ is used sarcastically here?

I can’t belive this, what was the thinking and the reason for this? Now for anyone who has more then 3 devices connected, they would have to deal with  a switch or what, wait another 7 years until Sonos will figure that you need to give the best to your customers to be the best.

I imagine a bit part of it is that they did not want to confuse people into thinking that you need to use the HDMI input to hear audio, that they didn’t want to get into the HDMI switching and video pass through  business, and that majority of people wouldn’t need it.  I would have preferred a single HDMI input, not so much for the extra input as for the ability to get audio from sources the TV won’t pass pass through properly

I am still not sure if it’s true, since there are no inputs/outputs mentioned at product page and it’s unclear from imagines, but you in fact it’s true that you have only 1 HDMI in ARC, this is a major flow and  I can’t belive Sonos did it to us.

The concept of HDMI-ARC is confusing, since technically, the Arc has a HDMI output connection, even though it’s there to receive audio through the Audio Return Channel.  Makes sense to me to just leaving it unlabeled.  But to clarify, you can connect a video source (cable TV, game console, OTA antenna, blu ray player, or streamer, directly into the Arc by HDMI.

You can not connect any source device directly into any speaker device. The Sonos speakers are looking for data on the HDMI cable that is either HDMI-ARC or eARC data, which is not generated by a source device. In 99% of cases, that signal is generated by the monitor/TV, and not the device that is sending a video signal. You will not see labels that say “HDMI-ARC” or “eARC” on any blueray players, DVD players, or cable boxes. 

Badge

Hello Sonos and community,

You can indeed use the ARC as a passthrough assuming your TV supports this. At the moment (hopefully this gets resolved soon) unless you have eARC on your television the best output you can get is dolby digital 5.1. With an eARC you can change the settings on whatever streaming device you use and also the setting on the television itself. Most TV’s do not explicitly state they support eARC on the box so its best to do a little research before purchasing a new television and confirming it does indeed have eARC. 

You can indeed use the ARC as a passthrough assuming your TV supports this. At the moment (hopefully this gets resolved soon) unless you have eARC on your television the best output you can get is dolby digital 5.1. With an eARC you can change the settings on whatever streaming device you use and also the setting on the television itself. Most TV’s do not explicitly state they support eARC on the box so its best to do a little research before purchasing a new television and confirming it does indeed have eARC. 

I don't  know where you got your information, but you are incorrect.  Regular ARC supports Atmos via Dolby Digital+, which is used by most of the major streaming services.