Question

IR Remote Volume Control of Line-In on Play 5

• 10 September 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge
I would like to use an IR remote to control the volume of my Play 5 without purchasing a Playbar. The mobile apps work but it is an added level of complexity for my guest and children that I would like to avoid. I just want to pick up the remote, point it at the TV and adjust the volume. Again, the Play bar is not an option for me at this time. The third party apps like "Home Remote" and "Zonos" work with my Xbox One but it requires me two switch apps or video input sources.
So far, I have been able to imagen a few solutions for IR control of Sonos volume without using the playbar. They are:
Solution 0) The Playbar. It is a great device but it does not meet my needs for several reasons.
Solution 1) Get Sonos to get Microsoft (and Sony) to add an option to the console to forward IR volume commands to the Sonos. This solution does not require additional hardware and further legitimizes Sonos by integrated it into the gaming console. I know some SONOSians may be snobbish audiophiles, but a better Venn between Sonos and the gaming world has undeniable synergy. Using the Xbox One Media Remote, I can use the IR sensor in the Xbox One to control the TV's built-in speaker volume. Now that the Xbox One S supports 4K and because the FCC (and population at large) are trying to eliminate cable boxes, I see 4K gaming consoles with built in DVD player as the future for cable cutters. 4K streaming to the Roku or Fire stick look promising but I think the majority of budget sensitive consumers will choose 4K Redbox DVDs instead of investing in the 4K capable (aka 4Kapable) internet.
Solution 2) Program a Raspberry Pi (or similar) to understand IR signals and control the Sonos volume using an API. This is a universal solution that may be a Kickstarter project unless Sonos quickly embraces IR. Although I don't consider myself a programmer, I have sold several industrial solutions using the Raspberry Pi, PLCs, and written more than my fair share of VB and LISP applications. With some advice and a little help, I think I could get this solution done and maybe help others.
Solution 3) Buy a TV / amplifier that will respond to universal IR volume signals by attenuate the Line-in/out levels. I will investigate this option more closely but I think this is a non-starter for most people and may lead to chopping and degraded audio.
Solution 4) ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Perhaps this would be a viable approach for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Connect doesn't have an IR receiver in the first place. Any commands to adjust the volume would need to come over the network.

If IR adjustment is a requirement, the Playbar is the only option. If investing in something to control the volume over the network is an option, there are now a variety of choices... some simple, some more complex.

Logitech Harmony Companion (can also be used to control other A/V equipment, and has a traditional remote control feel)
Lutron's Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge and Pico Remote (as recommended by buzz)
Insteon's Home Hub (not the Homekit enabled one) and Mini Remote

As you mention in option 3, an amplifier that you hook the Connect to could certainly be an option. It might be a bit overkill since you're only getting it to adjust the volume of one device, but it's certainly an option. It shouldn't chop or degrade the audio any. Just set the Connect to be at fixed volume (100%), then adjust the volume through the receiver/amplifier.
Badge
Thank you for taking you time to respond. I will consider these options further.
Perhaps another option

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-8394?utm_campaign=MyBuys&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Email
So your saying you're using the Play:5 as the external speaker for the TV? Are you getting a delay between the audio and video? Also, understand the that the PLAYBAR isn't an option. Does that mean the PLAYBASE isn't an option either?

Honestly, if you don't want to use PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE for the TV sound, I think you are better off using a traditional receiver and speaker setup. It should also resolve your remote issue.

As an aside, I disagree regarding your comment of gaming consoles being the direction people will go for 4K. First I think history as shown the people value convenience as much if not more than quality. Therefore, they could very well opt for an HD stream over going out to get a 4K disk. Even then, I don't know that they will want to spend $250+ on a gaming system when they have little interest in games, when all they need is a $100 (or whatever it costs) 4K disk player. It will absolutely be the way to go for some, but not all.
The Connect doesn't have an IR receiver in the first place. Any commands to adjust the volume would need to come over the network.

If IR adjustment is a requirement, the Playbar is the only option. If investing in something to control the volume over the network is an option, there are now a variety of choices... some simple, some more complex.

Logitech Harmony Companion (can also be used to control other A/V equipment, and has a traditional remote control feel)
Lutron's Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge and Pico Remote (as recommended by buzz)
Insteon's Home Hub (not the Homekit enabled one) and Mini Remote

I have a Logitech Harmony Companion and am having issues switching the source back to line in. Things are fine when I first turn on the tv but if for some reason I play music during half time of an nfl game there is no way for me to switch back to "Line In" on my Sonos without having to turn my system off and on again via the watch tv activity. There is a line in command in the sequence that only seems to work when I am turning the tv on (i suspect due to the autoplay feature). Any advice?