Question

Intel NUC+Beam but no 5.1 from Windows 10?

• 7 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone, recently got hooked into Sonos for home audio and decided to replace my home theater with a Sonos 5.1 system. However, I seem to have run into a problem many before me have, which is TV only showing up as Stereo in Windows. 

Current setup:

Beam+Sub+2 Symfonisks

Sources: Sony Blu-ray player and an Intel NUC (8th gen) with Kodi 18. TV: Panasonic HDTV, 2015 model.

Am I wasting my time in trying to find a solution to get a solution using Windows or has someone made this combination work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m experiencing the exact same problem except with two Sonos “One”s, a Sub and a Beam. With a NUC too (7i5BNC)

It looks like a known problem with Windows.

If you find a solution, be it a hardware one, please let me know.

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is the problem because you are playing media with DTS encoding?

Beam will only accept Dolby Digital.

In Kodi’s files view If you select the media (without playing it) Kodi should show how it is encoded.

You can get Kodi to translate DTS to Dolby Digital. Go to Settings->System->Audio.

Set “Number of channels” to 2.0 (apparently this is a setting for PCM and should be set to this when not using PCM)

Scroll down and set

Allow passthrough: true
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver: true

-- Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding

DTS capable receiver: false

A warning: the translation will introduce an audio delay. This can be counteracted by changing the audio offset. You can make this the default setting so that everything played has that offset.

The only trouble with that is if you play Dolby Digital it will get delayed unnecessary so the audio will be out of sync again. This is annoying and ideally Kodi would allow you to set a delay for DTS only.

I've the same problem with a Beam and two Ones. My NUC is a little older, and LG TV. Whe I try to configure the surround speakers, I can only see stereo option...