in ceiling surround speakers

• 3 November 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a whole house music systems with 4 different groups (living/kitchen, entryway, master and backyard), currently controlled on Crestron.  In the living room I have 6 speakers in the ceiling and two in the kitchen in the same group.  The control hub/amps? are in in a closet near the entrance of the house.  The living room is near the back of the house about 25ft away.  

Is it possible to make those ceiling speakers in the living room as surrounds along with an arc soundbar and subwoofer for a tv in the living room?  I assume I’d need some sonos amps, but as far as wiring currently is it even possible without having to run new wires. Thanks in advance.

2 replies

It is possible, but not a good idea.  Rear surround audio speakers should be place to the rear and side of the seating area at ear level, not from the ceiling above and possibly in front of you.  As well, you would want to use 2 speakers, not six.

If you  did decide to use this, you would want to rewire the two rear most speakers to a Sonos amp.  Depending on the wiring this may not be possible.  The distance away could also lead to some interference issues.  You couldn’t keep those speakers on the creston system either, atleast not with complications.

Unless it just doesn’t work aesthetically, I would use 2 Sonos One SLS instead.  Probably save some money in the process.  If that can’t be done, I would probably opt to go without surrounds.

Thanks for the response.  I thought about doing this only because I don’t have space to put the rear one SLS on the back at an equal distance to the couch.  The right would be 3 ft behind and the left would be more like 9 ft behind the couch.  It’s an open space and the left rear has to go on the kitchen counter.