Answered

Improve "center" channel sound on new amp?

• 5 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Got the new amp when it was on the website last week. Replaced my 5.1 with real center channel speaker running off a Yamaha amp with the new amp and a connect:amp for the hard wired ceiling mounted rears. Removed the Yamaha amp and the center speaker.

Everything works beautifully together, sound is great for music, but the "phantom" center channel that replaced my actual center speaker is just not doing it for me. Sounds a little like the problems others are reporting for the Beam. At low volume, I have to jack up the volume to hear the dialog and it just doesn't sound anywhere near as good as what I had. Then something loud happens and I have to dial the sound way back down.

Unlike with the beam, there are no controls at all for the dialog for the new amp. No night mode, no dialog boost, etc.

Is there anything I can do to improve the center channel sound from this thing, or do I take advantage of the 60 day return policy and go back to my old setup? I really like everything else about it, but the poor center channel is kind of killing me.
icon

Best answer by Chris 5 December 2018, 03:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It does have night mode and it does have dialog enhance. Right in the room screen when tv audio is playing just like Beam
Userlevel 1
Huh. There I was searching around in the settings. That does help a little bit at first blush, I'll have to put it through its paces with those two settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good luck Jason. Let us know your findings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I personally don’t find it to have s great phantom center but my speakers are only a few inches away from screen so it’s not really noticeable
Userlevel 1
I've been listening to stereo vinyl all day and just switched over to 5.1 audio to compare. With the dialog enhancement off it is pretty much unlistenable. With it on, I can hear what's going on and it sounds like the sound is coming from the right place. But it's definitely not as good as my old center channel speaker setup with my Yamaha amp/receiver.

All in all, I really wish they'd just given us a true 3.1 amp. I'd have gladly paid another $150 to be able to continue to use the expensive center channel speaker I now have sitting in my basement. The new amp gives me simplicity over my old system, which is a big plus. But they Sonos continues to miss the boat for people who want to have great quality audio from all sources including home theater. I took two steps forward on connectivity and simplicity but somehow dropping $600 on an amp actually sent me backwards on sound quality when I'm watching TV vs. my old system.
Badge
I would replace my main HT amp in a heartbeat with two Sonos Amps if they had a real center channel. I have 4 ceiling speakers and an expensive center also, so it looks like that setup is going to stay for a while longer. The Beam, Sub and play 1s are great in the bedroom though.
Would Sonos be able to provide a future software update to allow for a wireless center channel via, say, a Play:3? This would solve the problem, sell more Amps and Play:3s!
Would Sonos be able to provide a future software update to allow for a wireless center channel via, say, a Play:3? This would solve the problem, sell more Amps and Play:3s! No they will not, because they do not listen to customers for this matter. I have been trying to love it (2 play 5, 2 play 3, 3 play 1, 1 beam) but could not forget what a real center channel sound like for dialog, especially the ability to adjust the level... anyway, I am back to Marantz and magnat ...