Question

idle power mode not working as expected

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi,

my energy meter is working properly and it shows 17W in "idle" ,even when all devices (TV, digital converter) are disconnected from power.
During TV signal it uses mostly 23W and it goes for idle for 17W, even after removing optical cable.
When i turn on the TV the power goes to 23W again.

So, why it is using 17W when only the playbar is connected to power? (no WLAN, app closed)
What can i do? as its not the expected official consumption?
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/260/~/sonos-power-consumption-when-idle

Regards,
Murrato

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you tried, whilst measuring 17 Watts, switching off the power to the Player to see what happens?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
sorry, what exactly do you mean with "switching off the power to the Player"
which player?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Pull the plug out of the wall or pull the plug out of the Player. Or turn the power switch on the wall socket to off.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
power strip removed, consumption 0
power removed from playbar, consumption 0
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It may be worth submitting a diagnostic and contacting Sonos. If there is a fault best catch it early
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
i already created question for support and send diagnostic now.
so power consumption from your point of view is "faulty"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All I know is that it is higher than Sonos publish. Don't forget it takes some time (15 minutes at a guess) to switch to low power mode after operating.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
due the 15 minutes and i was waiting hours, i figured out something seems to be wrong. even pause or powering off TV doesnt change anything.
lets see what the support says....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Report back here as it will be interesting
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
support says, my energy meter doesnt measure the reactive power only the active power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What meter are you using?

I am happy with my Kill-A-Watt meter that provides a good bit of information about the power being used. The P4400 is decent but the P4460 is only a few bucks more and much better. I haven't tried any of the others there.

http://www.p3international.com/products/energy-savers.html
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
i was using a simple one, peaktech 9024 and ordered now ELV Energy Master Basic 2 which shows real, reactive, and apparent power.
i am surprised to see the three values then