Ideal sitting distance for 5.1 surround system

• 9 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I have a Playbar + Sub + 2 Play 1s setup and maybe moving to a new house. As we plan the move, i wanted to make sure we get the best ambient setup for our Home Theater. What kind of distances are recommended for the Playbar. How far can the person be from the Playbar to hear good quality sound? The Play 1s are placed in the rear and mounted on Sanus WSS2 stands. I know that all houses vary in dimensions and acoustics, however If some of you can share your setups and experiences it will help me plan better

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I don't use Sonos for TV, but isn't it more important to get the ideal viewing distance first? Which depends on the size of the screen and its resolution. Anything that is an ideal viewing distance for the TV will be suited to play bar + Sub as well. The rear placed 1 unit may have a problem in large rooms perhaps, of being too far behind you but for surround effects, that may not be critical.
Use Trueplay. The first stage will balance the output of the various channels to account for the seating position.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Use Trueplay. The first stage will balance the output of the various channels to account for the seating position.

Ratty are you saying that the Playbar can go loud enough for larger rooms? 25'x25' ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I don't use Sonos for TV, but isn't it more important to get the ideal viewing distance first? Which depends on the size of the screen and its resolution. Anything that is an ideal viewing distance for the TV will be suited to play bar + Sub as well. The rear placed 1 unit may have a problem in large rooms perhaps, of being too far behind you but for surround effects, that may not be critical.

Thanks Kumar I know that is usually the case but I have seen there's sometimes the need for maybe reorienting the seating in the room and then the distance plays a role.

Ratty are you saying that the Playbar can go loud enough for larger rooms? 25'x25' ?

No, I'm not saying that at all. Nor am I saying that Trueplay is loud enough for a football stadium.

What I said was that Trueplay balances levels between the channels.

If you're going to be sitting 25' back from PLAYBAR then (a) the three front channels will largely blend into one and (b) you'll either need a huge TV or opera glasses.