Question

I can't control my Sonos sound via the TV

• 12 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I purchased an nVidia Shield Pro 2017, this one does not have IR transmitter on the controller.. I have connected my console to the TV via HDMI, and I have connected my Sonos to my TV via optical cable.. Sound is working great, but I can't control the volume with the nVidia Shield's controller, since it does not have IR transmitter.
How can I fix this? Is there a way to make Sonos listening to my TV's volume signal adjustments via the optical cable?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Not via Optical unless the TV has the facility to vary the Optical audio level. It is rare that this happens because, for technical reasons, reducing the Optical level also reduces the resolution of the signal.

Playbar has the ability to respond to the TVs IR volume signals. This means you can use the TV remote to adjust the Playbar volume. However, it does need the TV to have the option to ignore the remote volume commands otherwise both the TV and soundbar volume will be changed at the same time. This is done from a set-up menu in the TV where you select something along the lines of "external sound system".

Alternatively you can use the iOS / Android control app to alter the Playbar/Playbase volume.

I don't know the ins and outs of nVidia Shield. Maybe there's a way to control the sound level going to the TV, but again that would be subject to the reducing resolution issue.
Thanks for the answer. But how is this going to be resolved with newer TV-s? Most TV nowdays doesn't even have an IR transmitter, and I guess that most people want to be able to control the Sonos volume via their HTPC controller? From here on and now all of the coming HTPC boxes won't come with an IR transmitter (just a guess).. I think it's a hassle to control the volume seperately from an app. I have to unlock the phone and open the Sonos app every time I'd like to control the volume.. The next TV I'm gonna buy isn't going to have an IR receiver either.. I'm just wondering how this is going to work out in the end, when IR transmitter is out dated.. I was hoping there were some sort of CEC technology on the Sonos playbar, so that it could take signals from the TV regardless of IR, and then adjust accordingly.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Thanks for the answer. But how is this going to be resolved with newer TV-s? Most TV nowdays doesn't even have an IR transmitter

No, you are confused. The TV IR transmitter is in the remote control.... the thing you hold in your hand... it has channel buttons, volume +/-, TV Power etc.

Every TV have this. If no remote then screen is not TV. Is monitor instead. All modern TV have remote control.

Sonos Playback has IR receiver.

IR receiver sees signal for vol +/- from TV handset. Playback change volume this way. Control playbar WITH TV REMOTE.

See Sonos instructions how to set up. Playbar LEARN vol + and vol -

I guess that most people want to be able to control the Sonos volume via their HTPC controller? .

I this very few people use HTPC. Most use streamer box (Apple TV, Android MX, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast) or Satellite/Cable/PVR.

Can control sound from TV remote.

CEC is not option for any device using Optical.