Huge different: Spotify via Sonos App V.S. Spotify app on TV

• 1 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

Setup: TV connected to Arc + 2x Sonos 1 + Sub 

I compared the sound via Spotify app on TV V.S. Spotify Sonos app. I noticed a huge difference. 

Spotify app on TV: more bass, vocal is majorly coming from Arc 

Spotify Sonos app: bass is more balance, vocal is from surrounding sound (2x Sonos 1)

I set the music playback = Full in Sonos app. 

The TV is outputting PCM while streaming Spotify app, but I believe the Spotify Sonos is using PCM too.

I personally prefer the sound using Spotify Sonos app. So, it is a bit annoying that I have to switch to my phone every time I listen to Spotify. Anyone knows why there is a huge difference of sound experience? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Two major differences here. 

When the sound is coming from the TV, the system is assuming it’s a TV show, as the input is coming in across the ARC channel on the TV, so it uses all the settings for TV shows. The Sonos is not ‘aware’ that you’re listening to a music app, it just knows that the TV is sending data.

However, when you’re using the Sonos app, the data comes in differently, no longer across the TV’s ARC output, but directly via the internet. As such, the Sonos knows that the input is a non-TV input, and handles it as strictly ‘music’, which includes using the setting for ‘full’ on the surround speakers. 

Think of it as not a Spotify stream, but more of a ‘what input method is being used’ issue. 

You could ask Spotify to modify their TV app(s) so you have the option of sending stereo to surround sound channels , configured through their app.

Or perhaps there are already settings in the TV app, or in the TV itself for this kind of thing?

However, even if the signal is restricted to stereo, it will still be coming in via the TV input, so it will never hit the ‘full/ambient’ settings in the Sonos software, which is applied only to internet sources, not ARC sources.