Answered

Hue Sync Box and Dolby Digital

• 9 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I recently upgraded from the Playbar to the Arc. The Arc is paired with my two play 1 and a sub. My TV is a Samsung Q90T. 

Sonos is plugged into e Arc.

I have PS5, Fire stick and Switch plugged into Hue Sync box

So I'm trying to see if I have the best settings to ensure I'm getting the best sound. On the PS5 I'm getting 5.1 Dolby digital plus. Firestick I'm only getting Dolby Digital Plus 2.0. The switch is just stereo pcm…

Do I have something set wrong causing the firestick to not get full 5.1? Do apps make a difference? For reference I'm watching a live game on MLB.TV through Prime Video. 

Just trying to get the best sound I can get. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 April 2022, 05:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

On the TV, make sure the Digital Output Audio Format setting is set to Pass through.

On the Nintendo Switch, change the TV Sound setting to Surround. This should allow you to get Multichannel PCM audio from supported games.

On the Fire TV Stick, change the Surround Sound setting to Best Available and test a 5.1 movie on Prime Video.

If you are streaming on the PS5, Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 is the best audio you can get.

The app does make a difference. Not all apps and programs support 5.1 audio.

Badge

Thanks for this and clarifying about the apps and programs. If a program or app doesn't support 5.1 dolby, will Sonos still show 5.1 on the app?

So when I switched to passthrough on the TV. I lose the Dolby Digital Plus on PS5 and it now just shows Dolby Digital. But I do get the digital plus with firestick now. 

Not sure if I should have the eArc set to auto or off. 

Also, on the TV sound settings, surround says game. 

Really appreciate the help. 

​​​​

Userlevel 7

If the app or program doesn’t support 5.1 audio, the Sonos app will display “Stereo PCM”.

When Digital Output Audio Format is set to Auto on the TV, are you able to get Dolby Digital Plus on the Fire TV Stick?

Some Samsung users have had problems with eARC, but if you don’t experience any audio or connection issues, keep it set to Auto. I also believe it needs to be set to Auto to get LPCM (multichannel PCM) audio from the Switch.

In the Switch’s audio settings, the TV Sound setting should be set to Surround Sound and Automatic. You also must be playing a game that supports LPCM audio to get “Multichannel PCM 5.1” audio from the Arc.