Answered

How will Arc + Sub sound with Stereo 2.0 audio?

Hello!

So unfortunately, I’ve got a pretty old TV with an ARC port that tops out at stereo output rather than 5.1 (it’s a Panasonic VT65 plasma). I’m currently using the onboard speakers and I’m interested in getting the Arc and Sub as an upgrade.

First off, I’m aware I won’t be getting Atmos with this setup (it’s a good excuse to upgrade my TV in the near future though...) But the onboard speakers just aren’t cutting it at all (especially for movies).

My question is whether the Arc will process the frequencies from stereo sources effectively, e.g. will it direct the lower frequencies to the sub and separate the left and right channels in a way that gives me a good audio experience? I suspect it will, as a lot of content out there is stereo only, so I imagine it’s built with that in mind. 

My concern though is that it’s going to take the signal, only utilise two drivers in the soundbar, and disregard the sub entirely. 

Is the Arc capable of ‘up-converting’ in this way?

Many thanks in advance :)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 June 2020, 02:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Yes, it will work much better than your TV’s speakers until you get a new TV. When the Sub is bonded, it will send as much signal as there is in a stereo signal, which wouldn’t be a lot, but some. In order to really appreciate the Sub, you’ll need to get at least a Dolby Digital signal to it, so that .1 signal can got to the Sub and shake your world. But it will be fine until you replace your TV, or even get a HDMI switch, and feed a Dolby Digital signal to the Arc using an optical cable. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I have VT50 and use a HDMI splitter with an optical out to connect my Cablebox, Blu-ray and appleTV to the TV and route optical to the playbar.  Gets 5.1  to playbar sub and sourounds. 

You could use the same setup, with optical to HDMI adapter, to get 5.1 to the Arc. 

that would be better than 2.0

Thank you both, appreciate your help and suggestions! :grinning:

Badge

Yes, it will work much better than your TV’s speakers until you get a new TV. When the Sub is bonded, it will send as much signal as there is in a stereo signal, which wouldn’t be a lot, but some. In order to really appreciate the Sub, you’ll need to get at least a Dolby Digital signal to it, so that .1 signal can got to the Sub and shake your world. But it will be fine until you replace your TV, or even get a HDMI switch, and feed a Dolby Digital signal to the Arc using an optical cable. 

Can you explain this?  I have the Panasonic ZT60 that has arc.  Will this work https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switch-HDMI2-0-Vision/dp/B07HZ7451R

Badge

Hi, I have VT50 and use a HDMI splitter with an optical out to connect my Cablebox, Blu-ray and appleTV to the TV and route optical to the playbar.  Gets 5.1  to playbar sub and sourounds. 

You could use the same setup, with optical to HDMI adapter, to get 5.1 to the Arc. 

that would be better than 2.0

Why Optical why not HDMI?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

On my 9.5 year old VT50 the HDMI ARC and spdif port only passes 2.0 Stereo from external sources - apparently - so the optical  I used with playbar and splitter, that takes HDMI audio and outputs optical, would continue to best choice with ARC to get 5.1. It sounds great on Playbar so I expect will sound good with Arc. 

I just upgraded to Sony A8H and lost the splitter but still using optical with the Playbar until Arc arrives

if you look up some of discussion on HD Fury’s Forthcoming device that might be an option.

Just plugging a non ARC/eARC HDMI into ARC does you no good - apparently. 

Badge

On my 9.5 year old VT50 the HDMI ARC and spdif port only passes 2.0 Stereo from external sources - apparently - so the optical  I used with playbar and splitter, that takes HDMI audio and outputs optical, would continue to best choice with ARC to get 5.1. It sounds great on Playbar so I expect will sound good with Arc. 

I just upgraded to Sony A8H and lost the splitter but still using optical with the Playbar until Arc arrives

if you look up some of discussion on HD Fury’s Forthcoming device that might be an option.

Just plugging a non ARC/eARC HDMI into ARC does you no good - apparently. 

OMG THANK YOU!  I have been trying to figure this out for a week now.   I have the new ARC and thought about getting this? https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switch-HDMI2-0-Vision/dp/B07HZ7451R?  This will not work, right? If not what type of splitter did you use?  Sonos ARC only has HDMI input.  Thank you for all your help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

You want one with optical out that lets you choose 5.1 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vinciper-Extractor-Switcher-Optical-Splitter/dp/B07W6SR78Z/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1MQ4U7X04FITS&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+splitter+spdif&qid=1592324743&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+splitter+sp%2Celectronics%2C199&sr=1-20

Mine was different but I can’t see on Amazon anymore.  Used a Harmony remote to turn and switch inputs - all worked great.

HDMI sources to this and optical to ARC and HDMI for TV - no audio from TV apps or OTA  - but my TV and yours ancient so no apps worth using and ZI use a cable box.

Badge

You want one with optical out that lets you choose 5.1 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vinciper-Extractor-Switcher-Optical-Splitter/dp/B07W6SR78Z/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1MQ4U7X04FITS&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+splitter+spdif&qid=1592324743&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+splitter+sp%2Celectronics%2C199&sr=1-20

Mine was different but I can’t see on Amazon anymore.  Used a Harmony remote to turn and switch inputs - all worked great.

HDMI sources to this and optical to ARC and HDMI for TV - no audio from TV apps or OTA  - but my TV and yours ancient so no apps worth using and ZI use a cable box.

Sorry for all the newbie questions?  Just making sure you know that the new Sonos Arc only has HDMI in?  Do I use an optical to HDMI adapter?    

Cant I get a switch that does output 2 HDMI? 

The model you list has an HDMI Arc out put vs this one https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC. what does this do?

Again thank you for all your help with this.  I have spent hours trying to figure this out and don't want to buy a new TV yet?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos ARC has an HDMI to optical adapter in the box. 

so all you will need is the splitter with optical out.  You can get the 2X outHDMI but my understanding is that ARC will do nothing with a regular HDMI connection that is not from ARC or eARC HDMI port. 

I am not very techie and got this all to work so I’m sure you will manage. 

Badge

Sonos ARC has an HDMI to optical adapter in the box. 

so all you will need is the splitter with optical out.  You can get the 2X outHDMI but my understanding is that ARC will do nothing with a regular HDMI connection that is not from ARC or eARC HDMI port. 

I am not very techie and got this all to work so I’m sure you will manage. 

I finally got it. I ordered this https://www.amazon.com/Vinciper-Extractor-Switcher-Optical-Splitter/dp/B07W6SR78Z/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1MQ4U7X04FITS&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+splitter+spdif&qid=1592324743&s=electronics&sprefix=hdmi+splitter+sp%2Celectronics%2C199&sr=1-20.  WORKS!!  I got working on my old Nvidia Shield But on my AppleTV 4k (Brand New)  it does get 5.1 audio to bar but sometimes video is all snowed out?? Thoughts? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Start simple and try another cable or input.  4K video should use a newer high speed cable.