Answered

How to use Dolby Atmos with an older TV.

• 10 May 2022
  • 7 replies

So I got a LG 55UM7450PLA TV with an HDMI ARC-outlet. However, the TV does not support Dolby Atmos accoring to its specifications.

I also own a PS5 which do support Dolby Atmos. 

Can I somehow get Dolby Atmos from my Sonos Arc or am I doomed to having to buy a new TV?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 10 May 2022, 11:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Your Arc can only play/process what is sent to it. No Atmos in: no Atmos out. 

@nik9669a 

I was thinking if there was a way to come around the TV being the issue as the PS5 itself should be able to send an Atmos-signal

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could get Atmos in from external sources like (possibly) you PS5 by using a HDFury Arcana or a Feintech VAX04101. 

Userlevel 7

FYI… the PS5 only supports Dolby Atmos audio on Blu-ray and UHD discs. It does NOT support Dolby Atmos on streaming apps. And as far as I know, it doesn’t support Atmos on PS5 games either.

If you plan on getting the Arcana or VAX04101 and you want Dolby Atmos audio from streaming apps, consider getting a Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, or Nvidia Shield.

Update:

Hidden amongst all tv settings I found some alternative that was switched to PCM. Changed that to “pass-through” and now we have Atmos streaming. Not just from the PS5 but from the tv’s internal streaming apps as well.

Good that I didn’t buy a new tv directly😅

Userlevel 7

Update:

Hidden amongst all tv settings I found some alternative that was switched to PCM. Changed that to “pass-through” and now we have Atmos streaming. Not just from the PS5 but from the tv’s internal streaming apps as well.

Are you getting Dolby Atmos audio from the streaming apps on the PS5? If so, which apps?

Update:

Are you getting Dolby Atmos audio from the streaming apps on the PS5? If so, which apps?

No I got it from the tv’s streaming apps, so Disney+ and Netflix. 
not sure why the tv says it doesn’t support Dolby atmos but at the same time can have the signal sent to the Arc.