Question

how to positioning play1 for better surround effects?

• 4 September 2017
  • 13 replies

Badge
Hi .
I've playbar and 2 play1 for 5.0 system connected to tv.
How I have to positioning play1 for a better surround effects?
height, inclination, distance etc..
my sofa is practically stuck to the wall

thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Dolby Digital 5.1 incorporate 3 x front channels and 2 x surround channels. They are not, as many people often get wrong "rear speakers".

The surround speakers fill the room with audio and allow sounds to be virtually positioned between the screen and the listener.

Ideally, a surround speaker will be positioned at ear height either side of the listener. In the case of multiple listeners, the head of one listener may block the sound for the other - so it may help to raise the speakers slightly. If there is a suitable wall at each end of the sofa, you could wall mount - but you should go no higher than 5 feet off the ground.

If you sofa really is right at the back of the room, you could use the rear wall for mounting, but you should angle the speakers inwards towards the listener's heads - they should not face the TV.
Badge
ok
many thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
How do you find the system without the Subwoofer?.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Depending on placement of the PLAYBAR, the sub isn't essential. Arguably, the SUB is a waste of money as if you're going to spend £2000 on a 5.1 set-up then you'd be better off with a full function AV system. For just a basic soundbar/music set-up though, it's a fairly good option.

The SUB will be more benefit when listening to music than watching the TV.
I used a PLAYBAR for a couple of years before getting a SUB. I found it to be outstanding. Good bass, surprising for its size.

And I disagree with RO53BEN, I find the addition of the SUB to be sublime when watching movies. But I suspect that may have to do more with the kind of music that is listened to. The SUB is a great product, but can be a delayed purchase.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I used a PLAYBAR for a couple of years before getting a SUB. I found it to be outstanding. Good bass, surprising for its size.

And I disagree with RO53BEN, I find the addition of the SUB to be sublime when watching movies. But I suspect that may have to do more with the kind of music that is listened to. The SUB is a great product, but can be a delayed purchase.

Not denying the benefits of the sub, I just think it turns Sonos into an overpriced home cinema system - the money would be better spent elsewhere.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ideally, a surround speaker will be positioned at ear height either side of the listener. In the case of multiple listeners, the head of one listener may block the sound for the other - so it may help to raise the speakers slightly. If there is a suitable wall at each end of the sofa, you could wall mount - but you should go no higher than 5 feet off the ground.
Actually, Dolby says above ear height and firing forward, and it's always been pretty unequivocal on this matter: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

Placing them above ear height gives you more ambient sound and makes them harder to localize, just like they are in real life. You only want your surround and/or back speakers at ear height if you have a 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, or 7.1.4 setup for Atmos, in which case the height channels in your ceiling take over the ambience/diffuse sound.

You can get really more nitpicky about exactly placement, which is fun to do if you have a traditional AVR to play with, but honestly in a Sonos system it's just not going to matter unless you have the room acoustically treated.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Actually, Dolby says above ear height, and it's always been pretty unequivocal on this matter: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

Placing them above ear height gives you more ambient sound and makes them harder to localize, just like they are in real life. You only want your surround and/or back speakers at ear height if you have a 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, or 7.1.4 setup for Atmos, in which case the height channels in your ceiling take over the ambience/diffuse sound.

You can get really more nitpicky about exactly placement, which is fun to do if you have a traditional AVR to play with, but honestly in a Sonos system it's just not going to matter unless you have the room acoustically treated.

You've just linked to a page that confirms exactly what I said :D

In the section "How to setup your system" they open with:

To create an optimal sound system, familiarize yourself with the role and position of each speaker. Choose a central seating point and angle your speakers at it, keeping them at your ear height when you are seated, unless noted otherwise.
Userlevel 2
Badge
In the section "How to setup your system" they open with:

To create an optimal sound system, familiarize yourself with the role and position of each speaker. Choose a central seating point and angle your speakers at it, keeping them at your ear height when you are seated, unless noted otherwise.

And then they do note otherwise: (click on the surround speakers)
Left and Right Surround Speakers

Surround Speakers create a lifelike sense of spaciousness, providing ambient sound within movies. Place the speakers to the sides of the seating area, ideally just above ear height.

🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Surround Speakers create a lifelike sense of spaciousness, providing ambient sound within movies. Place the speakers to the sides of the seating area, ideally just above ear height.

So just like I said then? :8
Userlevel 2
Badge

So just like I said then? :8

Nope, you said:

Ideally, a surround speaker will be positioned at ear height either side of the listener. There is no situation in which Dolby recommends them be at ear height except for Atmos - and even that's under very special circumstances.

And more info that says they're above ear height:

Left Surround and Right Surround Speakers (Ls & Rs): Place the Ls & Rs speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. The Ls & Rs speakers recreate the enveloping sound and intense special effects that you experience in the cinema. (Source: http://www.thx.com/faq/#buying-setup-guides)

It may seem pedantic, but when it comes to positional audio, your ears perceive a big difference just by moving the speaker up a foot or two from ear height, even if you're the only listener - they become more diffuse and less easy to pinpoint.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Depending on placement of the PLAYBAR, the sub isn't essential. Arguably, the SUB is a waste of money as if you're going to spend £2000 on a 5.1 set-up then you'd be better off with a full function AV system. For just a basic soundbar/music set-up though, it's a fairly good option.

The SUB will be more benefit when listening to music than watching the TV.

Off topic I know, but I find my sub essential. Bought my Playbar and although the sound was great, there was something missing for me. Added the sub and wow, what a difference. Personal opinion I appreciate.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Nope, you said:

No, you're selectively quoting. What I actually said was:

I've made the key points bold.

There is no situation in which Dolby recommends them be at ear height except for Atmos - and even that's under very special circumstances.

Except on the page that you linked where they state "keeping them at your ear height when you are seated". There is a reason speaker stands are ear height.

There isn't a Sonos speaker stand on sale that will position the speaker above the height of the listener.

And more info that says they're above ear height:

Sonos is not a THX certified system. Neither is THX linked to Dolby.

It may seem pedantic, but when it comes to positional audio, your ears perceive a big difference just by moving the speaker up a foot or two from ear height, even if you're the only listener - they become more diffuse and less easy to pinpoint.

No problems with you being a pendant, I've follow install instructions for speakers for years, mounting them at recommend height with a tape measure.

Here is the current guide I work from:

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3300W/EU/EN/GFNFSYawzxoxsr.php

Of course I have an Atmos system and Sonos doesn't support that.

The key thing is that all guides suggest to position surround speakers to the side, not behind, yet there isn't a suitable speaker stand on sale to do this at anything higher than ear height.

Most modern systems, including Sonos, incorporate some kind of microphone based auto-tuning function.