Question

How to get Sonos playbar to work with a Projector/Chromecast setup

• 27 August 2019
  • 4 replies

I just purchased an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema Projector. My intent is to setup a screen outside to watch football this fall. I have a Chromecast plugged into the first of two HDMI ports and use that to cast YouTube TV streaming. I am wondering how I can get my sonos playbar to provide the audio? The back of the projector has an area marked "audio" which has the yellow, red, and white inputs. I tried getting a Optical/Coaxial Digital to Analog converter, but that didn't seem to work. I wasn't sure if that was because it did not have the yellow jack (only had red and white). I went into the App and set the "room" settings to TV autoplay. It did not take over the audio from the projector itself.

My next thought was to purchase the Optical --> HDMI adapter, but I'm worried that the HDMI port will only look for video and not audio.

Any idea how I can get this to work? Football season starts up soon!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yellow is video, you would only need the red and white. As to the converter, what you describe is a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). You would want an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to take the Red/White analog and convert it to digital optical. The Playbar takes in optical, so no need for the optical-to-HDMI adapter.

Here's an example of an ADC:

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Digital-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B01HGHNCMW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=LICDCUQC8DJX&keywords=analog+to+digital+converter&qid=1566917941&s=gateway&sprefix=analog+to+%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTVoxREg1TUg0OEpYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ5NTExWEtQUFA5U0lXOElLJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MzI2MjMyNlkzVkFEVVFTQVFGJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
If the 'yellow' socket is in a clearly labelled "audio" area -- and is an output -- then it could in fact be orange, i.e. a coax digital out. In that case you'd just need a coax-to-optical converter.

If the "audio" jacks are actually inputs then they're no use at all.

It would be worth consulting the projector's manual...
Standard coax color is orange, which I suppose could be mistaken for yellow. Post a pic if you can, OP.
Thanks. You are right that the Audio connection is input only. It appears I will need a receiver, or another device in between for audio (like a blu ray player).

Since there is no audio out, I'm wondering if I could connect an I Pad to the projector via a lightning to HDMI adapter. That would project YouTube TV without using chromecast.

For the audio, I'm wondering if there would be a way to use the Sono's playbar, or if I need to purchase a blutooth enabled speaker to play the audio coming from the I Pad.

My setup would be this.
ipad w/ YouTube TV connected to projector via HDMI port 1.
ipad blutooth paired to external speaker for sound.

Would there be anyway to to use the playbar instead? I don't believe YouTube TV is supported in the Sonos App.