Question

How to connect Sonso to new TV without RCA outpuT

• 12 March 2019
  • 4 replies

Just got a new Samsung TV that has no Analog output anymore, only HDMI and optical. My Sonos Connect only has Analog (red-white cable) input. How do I connect my new TV to my Sonos Connect?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I bought a $20 DAC from BestBuy to accomplish the same thing a couple years ago.

A very wide range of options:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=digital+audio+conveter&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys
Out of curiosity, why are you connecting the TV to a Sonos Connect? Where you doing this with your old TV? Are you playing the audio over other Sonos speakers? Is the Sonos Connect sending audio to a 3rd party amp/receiver?
Thank you, airforceteacher, for the link. I will check it out.

Danny,
yes, I had this configuration on my old TV already and it worked very well. I don't have the bridge, but rather use the Connect to be hardwired (Ethernet) to my home network. The TV (in the living room) is routed through the Sonos Connect to my Bose speakers. This way, I can switch my Bose between TV sound and Sonos (my music on NAS drive, Sonos music streaming and radio stations).

Another plus: I can group the TV sound with other Sonos players.
1) In the kitchen, I can also see the TV, so I can group the living room and kitchen together.
2) On the other side of the living room wall is the office. I have an HDMI splitter on my Comcast box that feeds the TV (living room) and a monitor in the office (monitor has 2 inputs: PC and TV). For sound in the office, I use my Sonos Player5,
@Sunnywulf, does your Bose speakers (really whatever amp the speakers are connected to) have an optical or HDMI input? Does it have an RCA output? If you could connect your TV directly to that amp to get better sound quality. The Connect can connect to the amp like normal AND also have an output from the amp. You would then be able to send Sonos to the amp and get TV audio to the rest of your Sonos speakers.

Just giving you another alternative method for the same functionality.