Question

How do I reset my play bar to the factory setting ?

• 27 December 2013
  • 15 replies

How do I reset my play bar to the factory setting ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Badge +18
Unplug the PLAYBAR from the power and with one hand, hold down the mute button.  With the other hand, plug it back in while keeping your hand on the mute button until you see the light change from flashing white to flashing amber.  Once that happens, you can release the mute button and allow the PLAYBAR to finish resetting.  

You'll know it's finished when you see the green and white lights flashing in unison.  This will remove all existing information from the PLAYBAR (like registration) and return it to factory state.
Unplug the PLAYBAR from the power and with one hand, hold down the mute button.  With the other hand, plug it back in while keeping your hand on the mute button until you see the light change from flashing white to flashing amber.  Once that happens, you can release the mute button and allow the PLAYBAR to finish resetting.  

You'll know it's finished when you see the green and white lights flashing in unison.  This will remove all existing information from the PLAYBAR (like registration) and return it to factory state.

Where is the mute button
Badge
Hi Paul, Depending on when you bought your PLAYBAR, you may see a PLAY/PAUSE button instead of a mute button. This will be the button just above the volume + and volume - buttons.
Doesnt work for me. Could it be that the Playbar is damaged?
My playbar stopped working. All other Sonos components (play 5's and sub) work ok. Tried the factory reset procedure, but when I plug in the power whilst holding the mute button nothing happens - light remains steady white. Have sent diagnostics report - any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
after factory reset - you did try and add back new sonos component via controller didn't you?
Unable to enter factory reset mode.

Have been advised after diagnostics that this is a software issue and unit needs to be booked in for repair.

:(
I had this happen today when I updated my software to 5.1.  I cannot get the factory reset to work.  What did Sonos do and did they charge you?  My playbar is 14 months old, so it's out of warranty.
Since I live in Dubai but purchased the unit in New York, Sono's wanted me to ship the Playbar to them to re-install the software (at my own cost).

I was about to go on vacation, so I planned to do it when I returned. I unplugged the unit (removed the plug from the wall).

When I returned from holiday 3 weeks later, I decided to give it 1 more try before shipping to Sonos - amazingly, the Playbar worked again ??

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the post.  That is great news it started working.  I called Sonos and am waiting on next steps, but they seemed like they would help me get the issue resolved quickly.  I'll repost once I have more info.
Unable to enter factory reset mode.

Have been advised after diagnostics that this is a software issue and unit needs to be booked in for repair.

I have just tried the reset procedure and instead of flashing amber I get

Initial flashing white and red followed by flashing green
I’m now having this reset issue. Awesome. Owned the unit for three days.
I’m now having this reset issue. Awesome. Owned the unit for three days.

Why are you factory resetting a three day old product? Factory reset wipes out all your account/service/playlist data (including diagnostic data that Sonos can use for support) and is almost never needed unless an update has failed or something else catastrophic. From the very top of the Factory Reset Support Page:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Factory resetting any of your Sonos products is not recommended and should not be done in an attempt to resolve an issue.

So now that we have that out of the way, what exactly is the problem you are trying to fix, and what is the LED status on your device right now?
jgatie

Following Sonos’s own troubleshoot guides, it leads me to a factory reset as a necessary option. The light is a solid white at all times. Power cycling, does absolutely nothing. I spent two hours trying twenty different things with zero success. There’s absolutely no reason this device can’t operate as a plug and play option out of the box, through use with an optical cord.
jgatie

Following Sonos’s own troubleshoot guides, it leads me to a factory reset as a necessary option. The light is a solid white at all times. Power cycling, does absolutely nothing. I spent two hours trying twenty different things with zero success. There’s absolutely no reason this device can’t operate as a plug and play option out of the box, through use with an optical cord.

The quote above is from Sonos support page and expressly says it does nothing to resolve an issue. There is no reason to factory reset unless advised to do so by a Sonos technician, or you are selling a device to another party..

As to your particular situation, I recommend calling Sonos support directly. There may be a fault with that particular unit, in which case they will tell you return it to the store you bought it, or start the RMA process.