Answered

How can I tell what Generation my Sonos Sub is?

• 21 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,

With all the uproar over old Sonos products not getting updates, I would like to know how can I tell what Generation my Sonos Sub is? I just purchased it from Best Buy and want to make sure that it is not a Gen 1 product that is going to be obsolete in a couple months. Especially for what it cost.

Thank you!

Bob

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 January 2020, 00:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Bob, there’s only one generation of Sonos Sub, but our commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. The same Sub can be purchased today, so no need to worry about suddenly seeing something in the coming months.

Deleted… Didn’t mean to post in this topic.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Bob, there’s only one generation of Sonos Sub, but our commitment is to support products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. The same Sub can be purchased today, so no need to worry about suddenly seeing something in the coming months.

Ryan, the subs no good without the speakers. My play 5 are 4.5 years old. I spent $2500 for this system and 4.5 years is nowhere near good enough. Sonos is a disgrace and will hopefully go bust. No way the company recovers from this debacle. Only a mug would buy Sonos now

Unfortunately for Ryan, there is now a problem, based on what has happened with the Connect Amp. It is possible that Subs bought today in the used market, made in 2015 or before, will lose support in 2020. 

In view of this, Ryan should now be specifying what year of manufacture of the Sub his assurance relates to, and you should be making sure that the Sub you buy is not made before that.

A messy and unsatisfactory state of affairs, that, I agree. But caused by what Sonos has done with Connects and Connect Amps.