Home theatre connectivity issues

• 5 December 2020
  • 14 replies

Hi all, 

looked at lots of the discussions but first time asking about my own system.

I have recently started getting lots of interference or loss of speakers within home theatre set up (playbar, sub and 2 x play 1).  I two further play 1 in separate rooms but do appear to be affected with the issues.

Nothing has been added or changed in the system set up in 4 years so assumed it network related and complained to provider who sent out a new router, only to find i have the same issues, albeit they now appear to be getting more repetitive.

I followed lots of the guidelines suggested on here, rebooted, reset each speaker and connected playbar to router. 

Initial set up appears to work and I'm able to retune with true play. Within a few minutes the sound to sub and play 1 disappear but still show as part of the system in the app, when I reboot same speakers they appear as ? on the app so back to where I started. The playbar and two separate play 1’s show configured as WM0, but even on this I'm getting intermittent sound loss on the play bar via tv and music music streaming through app.

I can set up the home theatre play 1’s as a stereo pair labelled to another room and appear to work without any issues.

Network provider is saying its nothing to do with them and at a loss as to what to do next. The  benefit of the home theatre set up has gone and could do with some help if poss.

If just submitted some diagnostics (1747018095) 

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This points to wi-fi interference in the 5ghz range, which is how a soundbar connects to the sub & surrounds. Try changing your wi-fi channel on your router at the 5ghz frequency.

The Playbar automatically reselects its 5GHz channel to avoid local interference, so unless there’s major competition in the area fiddling with the router’s 5GHz is unlike to have much effect.

@Decsplace Has the ‘WiFi’ been disabled in any of your Sonos units? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Playbar automatically reselects its 5GHz channel to avoid local interference, so unless there’s major competition in the area fiddling with the router’s 5GHz is unlike to have much effect.

@Decsplace Has the ‘WiFi’ been disabled in any of your Sonos units? 

Thanks @ratty I wasn’t aware it did that continually. 

Thanks @ratty  & @UKMedia ,

WiFi enabled on all speakers. Currently only showing 3 speakers (Playbar & 2 x Play 1 in separate rooms) on app system info configured to WM0

A couple of other issues started at about the same time:

1. When I turn on TV from standby the Playbar doesn't kick in, the only way I can get it to work now is to reset speaker by turning off at power source.
  2. Having said earlier that my missing speakers show ‘?’ on the app, they do reappear and on occasion and work normally when I reset Playbar, this is short lived as they drop off again within minutes.

This morning I set up my Play 1’s as stereo pair within same space as Playbar & Sub, but labelled to a different room and no loss of sound in those speakers at at all. Playbar reconnected with sub automatically, but has since dropped out again.

The common denominator here appears to be the Playbar, especially when I try and link anything to it. 

Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if the wi-fi module in the PlayBar is on the way out.  Can you reconnect the two Play 1’s as surrounds and when they stop working submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number within this thread.

Thanks @UKMedia 

I've done as suggested and submitted diagnostics 1262748583

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @UKMedia 

I've done as suggested and submitted diagnostics 1262748583

Sonos have confirmed that the wi-fi module is working in the PlayBar. Please see below their recommendation:

Playbar appears to be operational including the 5Ghz card. I would suggest factory resetting the Playbar, surrounds and Sub. Re-set up the Playbar, test it’s working correctly including with TV. Then set up the surrounds as their own room, test they work correctly without dropping off for 20 minutes before being added as surrounds. Test them as surrounds. Finally, add the Sub and test the whole home theater set up. 

If the Playbar won’t play audio from the TV without a reboot, or the surrounds still drop-out, I suggest directing them to contact support, and we can then troubleshoot real-time. 

Thanks @UKMedia 

Just got around to doing exactly as indicated on your last message. Here's an update to my latest attempts at a resolution:

1. No issues with Playbar sound on its own, music or TV connectivity.
  2. No issues with stereo paired Play1’s labelled to another room. 
  3. As soon as I connected Play1’s as surrounds to Playbar, no sound, even when showing on app as configured.
  4. Removed Play1’s from surround and sound immediately restored!!
  5. Connected Sub separately to Playbar and same issue (3) with sound. Removed and connected to stereo pair and ‘bingo’ bass sound okay!!
  6. Have been running the system in this set up now for the most of the day with no interrupted sound. All speakers show as configured  to WM0 in system settings.

SONOS support next I think!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks @UKMedia 

Just got around to doing exactly as indicated on your last message. Here's an update to my latest attempts at a resolution:

1. No issues with Playbar sound on its own, music or TV connectivity.
  2. No issues with stereo paired Play1’s labelled to another room. 
  3. As soon as I connected Play1’s as surrounds to Playbar, no sound, even when showing on app as configured.
  4. Removed Play1’s from surround and sound immediately restored!!
  5. Connected Sub separately to Playbar and same issue (3) with sound. Removed and connected to stereo pair and ‘bingo’ bass sound okay!!
  6. Have been running the system in this set up now for the most of the day with no interrupted sound. All speakers show as configured  to WM0 in system settings.

SONOS support next I think!!

Yes I think so...

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Decsplacey8fV1UhDdfnRPDaElduH14DGEzSj9GAp-hvY02Noe1AQBTHXlRjjvWLIKPWAgAkEAUuO-bpD_LranLTEufIF6qFwZ7gagkezn6NpawOE8Q9XPESwYx-Yn2kh200LOG93r5jQo-0a.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. I apologize for the late response and thanks @rattykDYdWr57vfsX_hp4SU01MkucAMVRAesyRXyA7K-5NKJqNzHimDwQoNjMc3HnQ8o5jkp_Gt2inDDiJ02fGlSH7GLtnR9HJzqXHBmH8AS5KBg_Y4G2-vy6l4PLlXtV8QDgrv3-d9r7 and @UKMedia8WewekSE6sdS0pmQqeCGraJsZ5tK-8KUqLcFFOHxqliQ9SqE16gQR5WgbTvZr99Vga37_o9eBp14A8Jx5c6H5yGkhLqKCj92Apmcfp5lfvNm5WFoE-8YGz0BSpMplp3-dG675tQm for helping out. I would like to share some information about the submitted diagnostic to help out.

Based on the provided diagnostic, It shows that only 2 Play 1s (main bedroom and Bedroom) and Playbar (TVroom) are showing up on the diagnostic. Your 2 Additional Play 1s (Den “stereo Paired” + Sub)  is not part of the Sonos Network at the time the diagnostic was submitted. If these Play 1s and Sub are the ones you are referring to as no audio when you add them to your Playbar as surrounds, there could be 2 things I can only assume the issue could possibly be, “wireless isolation”. If at any given point in time they all show up on the Sonos App or “multiple households” if they have never shown up on the Sonos App at any given point in time. The diagnostic submitted only shows the main bedroom Play 1, Bedroom Play 1, and Playbar. Allow me to share some recommendations based on the assumed issue/scenario to help out.

If (at any given point in time) has shown on the Sonos App altogether, I would like to ask if we can follow the steps accordingly.

1. Open the Sonos App, take note of what devices/rooms are showing up. (if bedroom, main bedroom, and tv room) are showing up they are part of the Sonos network which is showing on the submitted diagnostic.

2. Reboot by unplugging and plugging back the Sonos products into power after 10-15 seconds starting with the Play 1s (den) wait for a split white light before rebooting the Sub.

3. Once all of the devices have a solid white light, forclose and re-open the Sonos App.

4. Check if they all appeared. I* would recommend moving them to the same room as the Playbar since the Playbar is wired to the router (for the sole purpose of isolating the issue).

5. Assuming multiple households is not the issue, they should all re-appear. this means that the issue is wireless isolation. They deem a wireless network is much more dominant and stable to connect to than the Sonos Net generated by the Playbar. (possible multiple router involved).

If (at any given point in time) has never shown altogether on the Sonos app, assuming multiple households issue. I would like to ask if we can follow the steps below accordingly to get them all into one household.

1. Open the Sonos App, take note of what devices/rooms are showing up. (if bedroom, main bedroom, and tv room) are showing up they are part of the Sonos network which is showing on the submitted diagnostic.

2. Unplug the Sonos devices from power. (not showing on the Sonos App “den and Sub”

3. Perform a complete factory reset on the Sonos Play 1 including the Sub. (One device at a time)

1. For the Play 1, press and hold the play/pause button and then plug it into power. Wait for a green light before letting go of the play/pause button.

2. For the Sub, press and hold the join button and plug it into power.Wait for a green light before letting go of the join button.

4. On the Sonos App, Go to settings >> system >> add product and follow the prompt until the set up is complete before performing a complete factory reset on the next Sonos product.

5. Once All the Sonos devices are showing on the Sonos App, try to add them back as surrounds to the TV room Playbar. This should fix the issue permanently for multiple households scenario.

Please let me know how it goes and keep us posted. I’ll be more than happy to help if you have any other issues or concerns.

Thanks,

​​​​​​​

Thanks @Paul A 

The update I sent  earlier was after completing all of the processes you have just listed.

The system set up currently has 6 speakers showing in the app and all configured to WM0 which suggest they are on Sonosnet.

There are no sound issues from any speaker when I don't connect them to the Playbar or Home Theatre set up. (Diagnostics 835508360)

When I reconfigure for Home Theatre, all speakers are visible on app (still showing WM0 but no sound. (Diagnostics 330962698) 

:

I should add that the Play1’s within the Home Theatre set up still allow me to control volume to Playbar despite no sound from them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Decsplace.

Thanks for submitting diagnostics and for the detailed update and response.

Based on the provided diagnostics, it seems that the satellite speakers (Sub and 2 surrounds) are being prohibited from communicating directly with the Playbar. This has something to do with broadcast. I would like to recommend getting in touch with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to check the router settings and see if broadcast feature is available on the router to turn it on. You may also want to consider checking airtime fairness and turn it off or disable this feature. Satellite speakers are not being allowed to communicate that is why you have no audio output when you add the speakers as surrounds to your Sonos Playbar.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll help you out with that.

Thanks,