Question

Help please - looking to use wired speakers as surrounds

• 22 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi,
I'm brand new to Sonos and honestly a little overwhelmed with the choice of setup I can have, so I'm hoping someone may be able to help!
I have a BEAM for my TV and am looking to have surround speakers in a 10 meter long room. However I also have a turntable/3rd party amp I'd like to integrate into the system.
TV and turntable/amp are in opposite corners (greatest distance apart).
One possible setup I have is to have:
a BEAM (optical connected to TV) with wired speakers at the TV end of the room through a connect for surround sound. The idea is these speakers could then also be used purely with the turntable by disabling the surround sound function as and when.
I would also like to have a second set of speakers up at the turntable end of the room. I'm thinking these could be plugged in directly to the 3rd party amp.
By having this setup,(effectively 2 X wired pairs of speakers, one connected to the 3rd party amp, the other to the connect), would there be :
i) a sound delay when using the speakers for the surround sound function when being used with the BEAM
ii) sound delay issues if I were to use both sets of wired speakers at the same time given I'd be using my 3rd party amp for one set of speakers and another set via the connect?
iii) issues with using the speakers connected via the connect as a group with the BEAM / or trying to use them as a pair of standalone speakers.

Alternatively, would I be better off with Sonos 1's as surrounds and simply having wired speakers for my turntable without the Connect up at the other end of the room? My issue is if at the TV end of the room to hear vinyl, the sound for the vinyl is up at the other end of the room, so I was hoping to integrate into the lounge/TV end.

Huge thanks in advance,
Jase

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Actually for wired rear surrounds you must use Sonos amp. Old connect:amp but only if Ethernet wire to beam or router.
Thanks for your comment Chris.