Help me with my setup please

• 31 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I recently purchased two Sonos/Ikea Symfonisk speakers. I fully expected them to work with my setup of chromecast/projector. I was mistaken and am now looking for a solution to this issue. I’m loving the Sonos sound so I really want to make this work and I’m hoping anyone can tell me if the solution I have in mind would work, or perhaps if anyone has another solution that would work.

My project is an ‘old’ Optoma HD141x and I’m using an, I believe, 2nd gen Chromecast (if that matters).

My projector doesn’t have HDMI ARC or optical so a Beam or Arc is no solution sadly I think. I’m wondering if using a Sonos Five or a Sonos Port would work with line in on my projector and grouping the Five/Port with my two Symfonisk speakers?

Thanks in advance. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi. Forget about the Five or Port. Your best bet, though expensive, would be an Arc and an HDFury Arcana device.

You don't want to even think about running audio from the projector.  You need to split the source so that video goes to the projector and the audio to Sonos. 

Connecting your projector’s analog audio output to PORT or FIVE would work. In the future, however, if you want to use BEAM or ARC this scheme will not work very well because surround audio will not be available. Many of us use Arcana to solve this issue for BEAM or ARC.

Edit: John B types faster than me. In terms of added cost, Arcana, PORT and FIVE are similar. In the future if you replace the projector or add BEAM or ARC, Arcana is the best approach.

Thank you both immensely for your answers!

An Arc is as of now out of my price range I’m afraid, having to purchase a PORT of FIVE is already stretching the budget I want to spend to make this work. I prefer purchasing the FIVE in this case, as more speaker for somewhat close to the same money as a PORT is preferable to me. 

So the FIVE will work for what I have in mind, that’s awesome. However I want to double check. My in room setup is as follows: Couch with projector above it on one side of the room, screen (obv) on the other end of the room. My two SYMFONISK are placed on either side of the screen, the FIVE would be placed directly above my projector or behind the couch. would the SYMFONISK speakers be able to be the ‘front’ speakers and the FIVE being the ‘rear’ speaker? Or can the SYMFONISK’s only act as rear channels in this setup?

In this configuration the SYMFONISK would be the L/R speakers. The SYMFONISK speakers would be configured as a ‘Room’ in the SONOS system. FIVE would be a separate Room. Rooms can be ‘Grouped’ to play the same music. All members of a Group will be time aligned. A single FIVE cannot be configured as a surround speaker. A pair of FIVE’s or SYMFONISK’s could be configured as surround speakers when used in association with BEAM or ARC.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! 

I think using the Five and Symphonisk speakers like this is a really terrible solution. Sorry but I do. Better not to use Sonos at all.

I think using the Five and Symphonisk speakers like this is a really terrible solution. Sorry but I do. Better not to use Sonos at all.

I agree. If the system is S2, finding a used series 2 CONNECT would be an option, but it may be difficult to determine if the CONNECT is series 2 prior to purchase.

And, unfortunately, there will be some unsolvable lip sync issues.