Answered

HDMI vs Optical

• 7 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I understand that HDMI can transmit the newer Hi-res audio formats, but is there any advantage to using optical over HDMI for audio?

The PLAYBAR only has an optical connection so I was thinking this must be because optical transmits a cleaner signal, but I wasn’t sure.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 February 2018, 21:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

More TVs have optical outputs, so it allows the TV to be "switch" between sources, and drive the single output. If you were to drive off of HDMI, you'd need multiple inputs and a switching process to move between them. But the cost of that decision is reflected in the limited amount of codecs that can be carried on an optical connection.

In both cases, the signal is digital, and there's no "clearer" on one side or the other.
Then what is the advantage of connecting via HMDI-Arc to the TV over connecting via fiber?
Then what is the advantage of connecting via HMDI-Arc to the TV over connecting via fiber?

HDMI-ARC allows you to control some functions of the TV via Alexa (turn on/off, switch inputs).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Many TVs also need serious hacks/config to emit dd 5.1 over optical, but HDMI ARC is a lot saner in this regard.