HDfury Arcana: eARC Adaptor: Things you should know

Userlevel 7

By now everyone has heard about the HDfury Arcana: eARC Adapter that is now available for pre-order.  It’s touted to relieve lip-sync issues associated with the Sonos Arc among other things. Read about the proposed benefits of the HDfury Arcana: eArc Adapter here.

This information is not intended to deter anyone from ordering the Arcana (I’m contemplating ordering it for testing).  However, my expectations are not that it will be a “cure-all” for every situation regarding Sonos. Below are two things regarding the HDfury Arcana: eARC Adapter you should know:

1. The Arcana may negate Alexa/Google voice assistance between your TV and the Arc (as well as the Beam). Things such as on/off, volume and input switching via voice. Note: The Stretch Goal for the Arcana claims it may not :thinking:
  2. The Arcana will not bring Dolby Atmos to the Beam; although it may improve DD5.1 interoperability with some sources and reduce lip-sync issues

While the above may seem obvious...experience here in the community has taught me not to assume that everything is logically understood (crystal clear). :slight_smile:

If I do decide to order the Arcana I’ll report back with testing results.

Edit: I ordered it. I’m just a Tech Junkie...someone help me...please:fearful:

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

1. The Arcana may negate Alexa/Google voice assistance between your TV and the Arc (as well as the Beam). Things such as on/off, volume and input switching via voice. Note: The Stretch Goal for the Arcana claims it may not :thinking:

Volume actually shouldn’t be effected for voice control as that doesn’t involve any connection between the Arc (or Beam) to the TV. What would be effected is that your TV remote may not be able to control volume by CEC controls...remote may need to be setup for IR control.  IMO, this is a good thing to do anyway, so that you use the remote to control volume when the TV is off.

On/Off of the TV and input switching would be effected, as those do use CEC.  However, there are other methods for accomplishing this by voice.  Some smart tvs are Alexa enabled, at least many Samsung TVs via smartthings.  Also, there are devices that can translate your voice command to an IR command, such as fire tv cube or logitech harmony.

Userlevel 7

@melvimbe 

You are correct regarding the volume. I should have left that out.

Regarding the other commands my aim was not to provide “outside” the box alternatives as you have suggested. My intent was to focus solely on the Arcana and the limitations it may pose.

If I had a penny for every time a problem was attributed to Sonos when in fact it was something else I’d be rich. :hugging: That was the main point I intended to drive home regarding the Arcana that some features may be negated even though work-a-rounds may exist. In short “cross that bridge” when necessary.

Cheers!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I think it goes without saying but the Arcana won’t inflate bicycle tires, even though I wish it would. I know it’s probably common sense just wanna make sure the Sonos community doesn’t get confused.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I’m wondering if anyone has received a pre-release version of the HD Fury Arcana https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I am one of those with the audio lag and my work around so far has been to use the Optical output from my Xfinity DVR to the Beam and run the use the DVR HDMI output directly to the TV.  

But the new Xfinity 4K DVR only has a HDMI output.  So I think the Arcana could handle my sound.

Lastly, I still want to be able to use the Apps and Airplay for sound from the TV.  To do so, I use the TV Optical output to a 3-1 Optical switch (the other connection is the DVR).   Therefore, if I start using the Arcana in the future, I would need a HDMI 2-1 switch to feed into the Arcana.  I need help finding that HDMI 2-1.  Would something like this work as the Output for the Switch goes to the Input of the Arcana https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15373   or this

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33417

Would like to know if this configuration should work.   And any experiences with the Arcana so far if any.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m not sure about that specific setup but if no one answers your question or if ya want follow this link directly and hdfury will answer your questions directly they are great with customer support https://discord.gg/8DUXVE or you can email them from hdfury.com

The Arcana is a reality and it has been tested and it works….Simple as that, Sonos should not have been jerks on how to get Atmos…

Sonos reminds me of Sony years ago on how arrogant they fell on superiority they think they are as a company…. do not get me wrong it is good stuff, just wish they would tone down the nose up attitude a bit…..Yes I am old enough to know this...

The Arcana is a reality and it has been tested and it works….Simple as that, Sonos should not have been jerks on how to get Atmos…

Sonos reminds me of Sony years ago on how arrogant they fell on superiority they think they are as a company…. do not get me wrong it is good stuff, just wish they would tone down the nose up attitude a bit…..Yes I am old enough to know this...

I assume you’re referring to the lack of HDMI inputs on the Arc, essentially making in an HDMI switch and video pass through device as well as speaker?   At first I pretty much agreed with you, but now tend to  think a setup with HDMI switch + Arcana + Arc + TV is better than an Arc + TV in the long run.  

I don’t think it’s arrogance that drove the decision for Sonos, but costs.  Not just costs to develop the Arc, but cost to develop it’s replacement a couple years from now when the audio aspect works fine, but it’s HDMI switching and video pass through becomes too outdated.  With this setup, the product can stay relevant for much longer, the same way that the playbar did.

Still, I understand why people prefer more ‘all in one’ type set ups and don’t want to have to buy other products to fully utilize their soundbar.

My unit has just just been picked up by the carrier. Delivery is scheduled for mid week.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi! My LG TV can pass through Dolby Atmos (DD+) through HDMI ARC, so when I watch Netflix and Apple TV + or iTunes Movies with the native app, I can get Dolby Atmos... Just would like to know how I can get the most out of the HDFury Arcana? I have some devices (PS4, Blu-ray player, Chromecast Ultra, Android TV box) connect to the TV via a HDMI switch, and connected a Apple TV 4K directly to the TV with another HDMI.

And how the connection with the HDFury Arcana should be?

On the HDFury website, there’s a pretty good explanation on how you should hook it up, if you click on ‘getting started’ which is an inch or two down the page. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

On the HDFury website, there’s a pretty good explanation on how you should hook it up, if you click on ‘getting started’ which is an inch or two down the page. 

Thanks! Will have a look! :)

Hi there, looking for advice.

I’m having a feature wall built and have purchased LG 65CX, Sonos Arc with Sub and 2x One SLs, I have the Xbox Series X pre ordered and use Sky Q but do use the Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime apps on the tv. My question for help is what do I need to do to ensure I don't get any lip sync issues and lose picture quality? I’ve seen the Arcana pumps through a max 18Gbps and the new Xbox is 40Gbps, can I just plug the Xbox directly to the TV and using the Arcana? I want to ensure that I have everything I need to get this set up correctly so when the company come to build the feature wall and install everything in November we don't have any issues. Any help would massively be appreciated. :)

Just to clarify I was wondering if I plugged the Xbox directly into the tv, would I have any lip sync issues as this would resolve the image quality issue. Then plug sky Q directly into the Arcana with one hdmi to the Sonos Arc and the other into eARC on the TV. would that resolve all my issues?

I have a Shield TV (2019) + Sonos Arc + Sub Gen3 + 2SLs with a Hisense H9F

A couple weeks prior there was a TV update that caused Dolby Atmos to no longer work with my Arc. It was DD+ since the TV only has ARC not eARC. This made me seek out a viable solution which is why I ordered the Arcana.

I received the HD Fury Arcana and now I have Dolby Atmos working from the Shield 2019. All I did was update to the latest firmware and connect to my Sonos and I’m back in business with my H9F. It’s an expensive fix but having the sound bypass the TV has solved some CEC issues that was happening intermittently before. I believe the sound is much better as well. Atmos shows fine in the S2 Sonos app.

Prior to the Arcana the sound would intermittently go through the TV speakers and then back to the Sonos ARC. Or the sound would raise and lower continuously for 30 seconds before settling back down. Now with this device I have no issues and the ARC actually sounds better… Well worth it IMO

I am trying to buy Arcana. But saw this product while searching for alternatives.

This seems to have hdmi 2.1. I’m new to this, can any one compare and suggest if this or Arcana would be good?

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-hdmi-earc-adapter.html

I am trying to buy Arcana. But saw this product while searching for alternatives.

This seems to have hdmi 2.1. I’m new to this, can any one compare and suggest if this or Arcana would be good?

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-hdmi-earc-adapter.html

Assuming you have an Arc, the device you linked appears to be of no use whatsoever.  Its purpose is stated to be to turn your receiver or soundbar into an eARC capable device.  The Arc is already an eARC capable device.  The output is HDMI, whereas the Arc requires an HDMI-ARC or eARC signal.

There are lots of these devices intended for people who have eARC capable TVs and non-eARC capable AVRs / soundbars.  The Arcana is unique in being aimed at users whose TVs do not have eARC but whose AVR / soundbar is eARC capable (such as the Arc).

I am struggling to see how the device linked would help with any Sonos product, so I am surprised that it bills itself as such.

So what problem do you want Arcana to solve?

Actually a revised opinion..

The features section suggests that it can add eARC functionality to a soundbar, although the headline comments suggest something different. Needs further consideration...

Actually a revised opinion..

The features section suggests that it can add eARC functionality to a soundbar, although the headline comments suggest something different. Needs further consideration...

I’ve an old working tv with arc but no dd+.so no atmos. Just torn between getting a new tv vs investing in arcana. May be it’s worthwhile upgrading the tv.

thanks for your input though.

Well I can at least confirm that Arcana does all that it claims to do very well.

Does anyone have experience using a Sonos Arc + Sub + One SL’s using the HDFury Arcana for use with a video projector? Or any thoughts on whether this setup would be able to deliver a Dolby Atmos signal to the Arc system?

I have a Shield TV (2019) + Sonos Arc + Sub Gen3 + 2SLs with a Hisense H9F

A couple weeks prior there was a TV update that caused Dolby Atmos to no longer work with my Arc. It was DD+ since the TV only has ARC not eARC. This made me seek out a viable solution which is why I ordered the Arcana.

I received the HD Fury Arcana and now I have Dolby Atmos working from the Shield 2019. All I did was update to the latest firmware and connect to my Sonos and I’m back in business with my H9F. It’s an expensive fix but having the sound bypass the TV has solved some CEC issues that was happening intermittently before. I believe the sound is much better as well. Atmos shows fine in the S2 Sonos app.

Prior to the Arcana the sound would intermittently go through the TV speakers and then back to the Sonos ARC. Or the sound would raise and lower continuously for 30 seconds before settling back down. Now with this device I have no issues and the ARC actually sounds better… Well worth it IMO

I had the same issues with my Shield/Hisense H9F and found that the Arcana negated all of them by bypassing audio from the TV completely. 

My only issue now seems to be with CEC even when all CEC options are enabled, ex: the Shield remote does not turn off the TV. You said you updated the firmware - was this for the Arcana, and if so, how did you do this?   

Does anyone have experience using a Sonos Arc + Sub + One SL’s using the HDFury Arcana for use with a video projector? Or any thoughts on whether this setup would be able to deliver a Dolby Atmos signal to the Arc system?

Based on my understanding of Sonos smart soundbars, they process audio input and unicast an appropriate audio channel to the linked 5.1 group members over the 5GHz band. Presence or absence of the linked 5.1 speakers does not matter for the ability to handle Atmos by the soundbar or Arcana. Your projector hangs off the Arcana HDMI OUT port, shows video, and sends any control signals to Arcana. Provided that the source is Atmos on HDMI IN port, Arcana delivers Atmos to eARC OUT port (Sonos Arc). It shall work without problems. You may want to configure Arcana for LLDV>HDR to ON to let the non-DV projector show DV.

Question: I have lip sync issues with external HDMI devices running into my LG C8 OLED with sound coming from my Sonos Arc SL. I was about to buy an HD Fury Arcana to solve this but was wondering how I could still use the native LG apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video etc...) with the Sonos? Would I need to buy a switcher just to route the audio to the soundbar (ie: 1 input from the Arcana for cable and 1 input from the TV)? Or am I overlooking something? If I do need the switcher is there a specific type to pass the full audio signal?

Userlevel 7

@MrChrisD With the Arcana you can still use the native apps on your TV. The Arcana is only used for external media devices. If you want to connect more than one external device to the Arcana, you will need an HDMI switch. I use a ROOFULL 3-port switch from Amazon and it is able to pass lossless Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM audio.

@MrChrisD With the Arcana you can still use the native apps on your TV. The Arcana is only used for external media devices. 

That’s not 100% accurate, or perhaps should be clarified.  If you want to get audio from native TV apps to the Sonos Arc, Arcana would still be used in the process. The TV side of Arcana will connect to your HDMI-ARC port on your TV, and your TV will send audio (when playing native apps) back along that connect to Arcana.  Arcana will then pass the audio on to the Sonos Arc.  I have not used this feature myself, as I find it easier just to use an external streaming box, but others have used it without issue.

One way to look at it is that Arcana will take audio from external sources or your TV via HDMI-ARC, and pass it via HDMI-eARC to Sonos Arc.  At the same time, it will take video from external sources and pass that on to your TV.