Answered

Get 5.1 Dolby Digital from my PC to Sonos Beam

• 28 January 2019
  • 2 replies

After smashing my head for weeks, I finally got 5.1 from my PC to my Sonos Beam and surrounds. This was very confusing because there is no direct way to troubleshoot where the problem is coming from. But, ultimately I was able to do it.

SOLUTION:
I bought a Dolby Digital - Sound Blaster X-FI USB device from MicroCenter and bypassed my videocard's audio. The Beam is hooked to the SB Pro (X-FI) via the optical chord it came with.

It was a super old device, I don't think they make it anymore. Thank goodness the guy I spoke to was as passionate about audio as much as I was. Turns out my PC board didn't have enough ports to upgrade the soundcard internally, so I couldn't do it that way, but this guy was a godsend. No need to upgrade, usb works fine.

*After you install the soundcard you still have to switch your default audio to SPDIF -Out (SB Pro), by default it won't be this.

There you go, month's of research and here's the solution. Hope this helps someone.
icon

Best answer by kljustice 28 January 2019, 20:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Forgot to put SOLVED in the headline.

After smashing my head for weeks, I finally got 5.1 from my PC to my Sonos Beam and surrounds. This was very confusing because there is no direct way to troubleshoot where the problem is coming from. But, ultimately I was able to do it.

SOLUTION:
I bought a Dolby Digital - Sound Blaster X-FI USB device from MicroCenter and bypassed my videocard's audio. The Beam is hooked to the SB Pro (X-FI) via the optical chord it came with.

It was a super old device, I don't think they make it anymore. Thank goodness the guy I spoke to was as passionate about audio as much as I was. Turns out my PC board didn't have enough ports to upgrade the soundcard internally, so I couldn't do it that way, but this guy was a godsend. No need to upgrade, usb works fine.

*After you install the soundcard you still have to switch your default audio to SPDIF -Out (SB Pro), by default it won't be this.

There you go, month's of research and here's the solution. Hope this helps someone.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There's also a workaround available which enables Dolby Digital 5.1 surround support on 'any' endpoint (such as NVIDIA HDMI or motherboard optical out). Info can be found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1023992/geforce-drivers/-petition-add-5-1-7-1-dolby-digital-live-dts-connect-encoders-to-nvidia-hdmi-sound-drivers-/post/5921475/#5921475
I've tested it myself and works pretty good. Good luck!