Answered

Five - Turntable - Beam

• 30 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello. I have a Beam hooked up to my tv downstairs. I have two One SLs (surround) and mini Sub connected to the Beam group, and I use it for tv and music. I was thinking about getting a Five to connect to my turntable upstairs in the house. I am a bit confused about the extent to which I can use it with my existing products. If possible, I would like to be able to play the turntable upstairs on the Five by itself, upstairs and downstairs at the same time (on some or all of the existing speakers - not sure if the Beam is appropriate for this), and only downstairs. The Five would not need to support the tv. I was hoping I could just have two rooms set up (the existing tv room and the new turntable room upstairs) and create another grouping of them together and simply choose where to play the turntable. Are there issues here that I would need to consider, etc.? I have seen it suggested that I might need to only use the One SLs and mini Sub downstairs in conjunction with the Five. Thank you in advance for any assistance. 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 30 December 2022, 17:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are using the Line In of the Sonos 5 then that Sonos ‘Room’ would always need to play. You then have the option to ‘Group’ the Sonos 5 with your Beam.

If you are using the Line In of the Sonos 5 then that Sonos ‘Room’ would always need to play. You then have the option to ‘Group’ the Sonos 5 with your Beam.

Actually, that is incorrect. The Line-In source is not like the TV source.  It doesn’t need to be playing on the unit that has the Line-In.  As a matter of fact, you can play the Line-In source in any other Sonos room, and have the unit with the Line-In playing something else. 

To the OP - Everything you list is possible if you have your turntable connected to a Five.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Actually, that is incorrect. The Line-In source is not like the TV source.  It doesn’t need to be playing on the unit that has the Line-In.  As a matter of fact, you can play the Line-In source in any other Sonos room, and have the unit with the Line-In playing something else. 

Thanks @jgatie, that wasn’t my understanding. Sorry OP.

Thank you both for the quick responses, much appreciated. 

Unlike traditional audio, there is nothing special about which “box” is hosting the Line-In jack. Line-In is simply a resource on the network that can be played in any combination of Rooms. If you want to play Line-In on the “box” hosting the jack, this Line-In is selected in the same way as you would select a Line-In for a distant Room.