Feature Request - Wireless Home Cinema

• 1 March 2024
  • 3 replies

With the rumours building of an upcoming Video Streaming Set Top Box or Stick, I'm really excited about the potential this device could bring. 

My feature request is, if Sonos do launch a Set Top Box or Stick, that it enables Wireless connection to Sonos devices (no need to connect Soundbar by HDMI). I also really hope it opens up the option to not have to use a Soundbar at all for Home Cinema and be able to wirelessly connect Sonos Speakers instead.

eg

Front Left One/100/300, Front Right One/100/300

Rear Left One/100/300, Rear Right One/100/300

I use Sonos for Music so prefer the stereo separation of 2 Sonos Speakers over a Sonos Soundbar. But would like the option to use the Speakers for my TV Audio aswell. Currently not an option.

Please Sonos, utilise your introduction of video hardware to its full potential and provide us with the above functionality. 

3 replies

Usually each set-top-box or ‘TV stick’ is connected to a TV over HDMI - so that’s an input (for both audio and video) for the TV to then handle - I’m just struggling to think why Sonos would want to invent a product to bypass their TV-connected Home Theatre products🤔? That would certainly affect their own HT sales (Arc, Beam, Amp etc.) I don’t think it makes sense, from a business perspective, especially as similar competing products are not all that expensive.

I seem to recall that the rumour (if true) was that the Sonos TV box was also expected to be priced in the region of $150-$200.

The one difference I would hope for from such a product, is that it will cater for buffered video and audio, so that A/V playback can be in perfect lip-sync across ‘grouped’ Sonos rooms. I think that feature would be a winner for many Sonos HT users.

Hi Ken

Thanks for your comments. 

It's an interesting perspective. 

I agree with your point, it wouldn't make sense to introduce a product that would affect sales of other products. But I don't believe that would be the case here.

I don't believe it would affect TV connected product sales (Arc, Beam). You would still be able to use them for TV Audio, but wirelessly. Of course there would probably need to be a firmware roll out to introduce that functionality on those devices. 

The reason Sonos don't have wirelessly Home Cinema devices just now, is because they don't have the hardware to connect them too. So they can't sync the Audio and Video. 

Look at Samsung. They have wireless home cinema because they have the hardware - the TV itself. Soundbar and speakers connected wirelessly to the TV. 

Apple have their Set Top Box. And because they have the hardware, speakers can be connected wirelessly for Home Cinema Audio. 

Amazon have their Fire Sticks. Again, because they have the hardware, speakers can be connected wirelessly for Home Cinema Audio. 

You refer to the price point which I have also seen rumoured. To justify that cost, it will absolutely need to offer wirelssly Audio. How could they possibly justify that price with such limited functionality. 

Patrick Spence (Sonos CEO) has already spoken of his hopes for the future with no need for cables (HDMI) at all. 

- "I’ve been pushing the team for a long time — I don’t want a wire to the soundbar at all. Let’s make it even easier,"

Quote from Patrick Spence in 2023.

I just hope Sonos don't focus that just on wirelessly connected soundbars and open it to wirelessly connected speakers too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Poor Sonos. On the one hand Sonos has to cater for customers wanting all wireless communication turned off on their devices, and on the other hand there’s a push to make everything wireless. I like your idea.