Feature Request: Use 2 Move Speakers to provide surround sound

• 10 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I would like to request the optionto use two Sonos Move speakers for surround sound. It seems to me that the already built an automatic true tune would make them a uniquely convenient solution for those of us that don't want to set up permanent surroundsound.

I know I could always return one of my Moves and buy two Ones but I'm counting on the fact that I'm going to spend much more time on the deck this summer than watching movies. Don't burst my bubble. :-)

If I'm willing to do the set up each time, how much of a technical ask is this?

Thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

There are perhaps a few things to consider with this suggestion. 

The Sonos Move would likely present other issues when adding and removing the speakers as surrounds, which I guess might only take a minute or two to bond/unbond. 

BUT... each time a user makes a change like unbonding/bonding HT surrounds, they’re also losing the trueplay tuning of the room and that will take several minutes to do again for each room.  Also, if using the Move for Alexa or Google Assistant, that assistant will get removed every time they’re setup as surround speakers, so they will not work for voice when used as surrounds with the Beam, or Arc etc. The user would likely have to go through the voice assistant setup each time too.

So personally speaking, I can’t see this being something that Sonos would want to consider. The experience for an end-user would be quite problematic and to try to simplify the process would likely involve a fair amount of software development cost with little added-profit in return for Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. 

I agree that accommodating my wish would not be in the best interest of Sonos from a bottom-line perspective so why would they accommodate my wish? I imagine it would be better for Sonos if I would purchase 2 Sonos One SLs and dedicate them to surround sound, but ….

as one for whom movie watching with surround sound would be an “event”, I am willing to accept all the inconveniences you list. So...would it really be a heavy lift for Sonos to allow using a pair of Move speakers as surround speakers if I’m willing to go through true play tuning and assistant set up before and after each use? The Moves are going to spend 99.9% of the time on the deck when it gets warm (they hang out in my office during the winter) so either way, they will have happy lives.

Thanks again for sharing.