Feature request - Sonos Beam "Stop/Pause" button to enable use of TV speakers

• 28 August 2018
  • 2 replies

I have just replaced a Connect Amp for my TV/living room with a Beam. Very pleased with it, and it seamlessly "just works" as a TV speaker replacement.

However, it is not always wanted to use the Beam for TV audio e.g Headphone use, late night/early morning when the Beam is too intrusive even at low volume/night mode, or (and this is the major one for me), when other less-gadget-friendly family members just want to watch the TV without having to worry about changing Sonos source back etc.

With the Connect Amp we used the TV speakers when we wanted, and, for when we wanted the better sound, we turned the TV speakers down and selected line-in. We had a play/stop button so it stayed on or off just when we wanted it to. There is no play/pause with the Beam. Even leaving it on another source does not help, as it senses TV audio and switches back, sometimes at an undesired volume level (as it does not remember what you had TV set to).

With the Beam, whenever the TV is on, it assumes you want the Beam to do the sound. Even if we change back to TV speakers (Sony Bravia with ARC), the audio switches back to the Beam a few seconds later. I can't turn CEC off as I lose the functionality for other HDMI-connected devices. I switched to using the optical adapter, and I can control the TV speakers independently which is better, but then I lose other control options. It also still seems to somehow sense the TV audio and switch the Beam back on, in parallel with the TV speakers!!

Please can we have the option to relinquish audio back to the TV as and when wanted, easily and persistently (don't default to Beam on every TV power cycle for instance). I appreciate this is also linked to TV CEC functionality. Even a play/stop button would be an improvement.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hey there, nrobbert. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. I am happy to forward this topic along to the team or consideration and visibility. Did you turn off TV Autoplay on the Beam? This should allow the Beam to keep doing its own thing while you turn on the TV.
Many thanks for the swift and useful reply, Keith!

I think this was my first community involvement, despite having Sonos since Zone Player and touchscreen controller days! I still prefer to use the controller compared to having to unlock a phone or similar, but I may just be old :)

Turning off the Autoplay definitely helps with stopping the optical connection triggering the Sonos, but does not seem to help with the ARC-triggered switch, so the feature request still stands.

As a follow-on feature request, I had already set up my TV remote as part of the initial setup, and when I switched to optical, I realised that changing the TV speaker volume would also be recognised by the Sonos, which would turn it back on again, even without ARC! So, I tried to "forget" the remote, but there is no option to do it. I could have taught it a random remote from another room, but went for a factory reset. So, an option to forget a remote would be also welcome. Multiple remotes may also be useful. I change the TV volume with a Sky remote as well as the TV. Having taught the TV remote to Sonos, only that one will change the Sonos volume. Minor one (especially once/if ARC is under my control again), but all part of improving the user experience.

Many thanks

Nick