Ethernet cable to Playbase?

• 3 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just pulled the trigger on a new Playbase.

Wondering what to do about ethernet. At the moment I've a physical connection from ethernet port on the wall behind the TV going into my media/PVR device (Youview box).

Should I just leave this alone and rely on wifi for the Playbase or is there any benefit in putting in a switch and hard-wiring both devices with ethernet cable?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Personally - I would wire one of your Sonos speakers if/when you get additional Sonos units (making one really a bridge/boost - doesn't have to be the playbase but one of the other Sonos speakers will do just as well). If you have just the playbar stand alone by itself I don't see much issue in just leaving it wireless.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Personally - I would wire one of your Sonos speakers if/when you get additional Sonos units (making one really a bridge/boost - doesn't have to be the playbase but one of the other Sonos speakers will do just as well). If you have just the playbar stand alone by itself I don't see much issue in just leaving it wireless.

Thanks Chris. I already have 4 x Play 1s - 2 in my study and 1 each in kitchen and bedroom. All are wireless and my understanding was that as you added more Sonos devices they extended the wi-fi range.

So if there's no appreciable benefit to connecting the Playbase with an ethernet cable I'll leave it alone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
I have Playbar 5.1 set-up plus a Play:1 and Play:3, all on wireless and all works perfectly. Try it wifi first and see how you get on imho.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you are using your home WiFi (Standard Mode) adding Sonos units I don't think that that extends the range, that only works when using the Sonos WiFi (Boost Mode) that is enabled by connecting an Ethernet cable to at least one Sonos device.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/sonosnet

Personally I have Ethernet wired to all my Sonos devices that are easily connected and the remaining ones using SonosNet / Boost mode to connect.

I'm happy to have my Sonos traffic off my WiFi, if I put a heavy load on it I don't see issues with Sonos glitching and I have more throughput for my non Sonos uses.