Answered

eliminating cat 5 cables

• 28 September 2021
  • 5 replies

I am a contractor and I am unfamiliar with Sonos equipment. I have a client that recently moved and he has a sound bar and surround speakers that seems to have used cat five cable to make the connection to the rear speakers. Is there a solution available to eliminate the need for the cat five cable for the rear speakers? The model he has is called play bar

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 September 2021, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What rear speakers is the client using?  Most likely, the cat5 is completely unnecessary.  The one exception is if you are used a Connect:Amp with passive speakers connected by speaker wire.  In that case, the playbar and connect:amp must be wired via ethernet.  Sonos Amp replaced the Connect:Amp and doesn’t required the wired connection.  All of Sonos powered speakers can connect wirelessly.

The model of the speaker is "play :1"

In that case, as Danny suggested, you should be able to just take the cables away. You may have to power cycle the speakers to get the speakers to reconfigure.

I am assuming that the Play1s are currently set up as surrounds to the Playbar?

Yes

Then please try what has been suggested and let us know how it goes