eARC passthrough device with audio extraction to headphone jack?

• 12 August 2022
  • 8 replies

My Arc has no output for headphones. 😥

Is there a device available to passthrough the eARC from my LG TV to the Arc that provides audio extraction to a headphone jack or optical or even RCA stereo? The TV CEC/Simplink is preventing the use of the optical TV output for headphones.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have no experience with this guy, but it claims to do what is needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This would be a great solution for other people that miss the possibility to have headphones connected while having Sonos HDMi soundbars connected.

I have no experience with this guy, but it claims to do what is needed.

Hmm. I think an actual switch is required for the purpose, otherwise the signal will continue to pass to the Arc. I’ll keep looking, thanks for the tip.

Generally, a switch chooses from several inputs and directs to one output. You have a single source that you need to direct to several outputs.  I think that's more like a splitter. 

Could you not mute the Arc?

Generally, a switch chooses from several inputs and directs to one output. You have a single source that you need to direct to several outputs.  I think that's more like a splitter. 

Could you not mute the Arc?

Possibly, but it seems likely that the CEC would mute the TV. If the Arc can be muted without muting the TV, a splitter that passes through eARC would work.

The best solution found:

A smart plug for the Arc, BT headphones paired with the TV. Withe Arc powered down, no problem.

It’s unfortunate that the CEC specifications for ARC and eARC don’t allow for headphones, just a single sink (speaker). 

The best solution found:

A smart plug for the Arc, BT headphones paired with the TV. Withe Arc powered down, no problem.

I expect that you will be able to Mute ARC or at least lower its Volume to zero. Powering down is liable to upset the CEC chain, resulting in the TV shutting down.