Answered

Dual Subs - One Gen 3, One with Amp?

• 2 August 2021
  • 1 reply

I’m downsizing from a house into an apartment and trying to adopt a neighborly spirit while compromising my movie-watching experience as little as possible - “but wait, the topic says ‘dual subs’?”

I want to use a Sonos amp to drive a pair of bass transducers to get the shake of heavy bass while having my gen 3 sub turned down low-ish to be a good neighbor. Is it possible to have a mixed pair of dual subs in the Sonos app without killing surround sound? I’ve seen workarounds that involve creating a second room to group but my understanding is that that would negatively impact surround sound/Atmos.

icon

Best answer by buzz 3 August 2021, 02:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Can I assume that this will be some sort of “chair shaker”?

SONOS AMP does support dual SONOS SUBS or 3rd party subs, but not in a mixed environment. I think that you could get away with a Grouped room to drive your shaker. There will be a slight time skew for the shakes and the shakes will not be exclusively from the LFE channel, but I think that you’ll be satisfied with the results.

How will you keep the transducers from coupling to the floor?

Edit: another approach would be to drive a 3rd party line level crossover and power amplifier as a Grouped room. You’ll still have the time skew, but you’ll have better control of frequencies delivered to the shakes.