Answered

DTS to Dolby conversion PS4 and Xbox One X

• 10 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello,

since some months ago I had Playbar connected to the optical of the TV.

Xbox one X and PS4 were able to transcode DTS to DD5.1 without issue on my bluerays

Now I moved to Arc with eARC connection and I’m no more able to.

does anyone have the same issue?

thanks

icon

Best answer by docSephiroth 24 August 2020, 18:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @docSephiroth,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your Question.

When your Playbar was wired for optical, were your gaming systems passing DD5.1 to your TV or was the audio format on the TV set to output Dolby Digital via the optical port?

Are you able to specify the audio format that you TV is passing through the HDMI/eARC or even specify the audio format in the settings of either game consul? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello.

gaming console output set to bitstream DD5.1.

Tv output set DD5.1.

these settings are valid both with optical and Playbar and eARC and ARC.

but HDMI does not work

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @docSephiroth,

Thank you for your response. 

That’s interesting, can you submit a diagnostic report while your system is “playing” and include the confirmation number here?

If you could include the model of your TV too, that would be helpful for us. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Update. I found the issue. I had to select an audio option in my LG B9 in order to allow the Xbox one X to bitstream and convert audio from DTS to Dolby.

Now it works perfectly. Even better than expected. I’ve set Xbox one X audio outputs as bitstream Dolby Atmos, and acc to the Sonos App, while playing a DTS native blue ray, the output is true HD Atmos.

Now my question is: is it a simulated Atmos or a true one, since the original blue ray audio is DTS?

thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @docSephiroth.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

I’m glad to hear that it’s working fine now.

If Arc is receiving an Atmos signal, we will display that within the Sonos App on both the "Now Playing" screen, and within the settings portion of our app.

You may also refer to this article, it outlines the main factors that determine if your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio

Please note that most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) codec.

HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.

To sum it up, every ingredient in your home theater setup has to support Dolby Atmos, to get Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, we are always here to help.