Answered

DTS to DD: I use my PC for everything

• 27 January 2019
  • 5 replies

I have a Samsung 60” 4K connected to my PC (sound Realtek HD) and use it for everything (music, movies, games). I recently bought a Sonos 5.1 system without properly knowing or researching about formats...

I have an optical audio output in DTS format that my sonos system will not read. Is there any software or hardware solution to Output DD directly or convert the DTS to DD?

I have a sense that this question has been made numerous times, but the answers I found direct to give up on the 5.1 because PC is not the main use of the system. If I do not get a solution, I will return the Sonos and get a Bose 700 or whatever you recommend. Hopefully there is a solution. Would a sonos connect do the trick? Any cheaper solution?

Thanks!!
icon

Best answer by ahg1985 27 January 2019, 19:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You'll need to find some software solution for your PC that changes the output from DTS to Dolby Digital. It's often just a setting in the application that you're already using, but not always. But there is no Sonos device that will do the translation for you. The CONNECT is a stereo device, and not capable of dealing with a Dolby Digital signal.
How about a nice soundcard that outputs DD 5.1?
Ok, for all of you with the same problem. I found two solutions:

1. Download mod drivers for the Realtek HD (just google Realtek Dolby Digital). You will get the sound through your system but only in 2 channels
2. Buy a sound card that can output Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There's also a workaround available which enables Dolby Digital 5.1 surround support on 'any' endpoint (such as NVIDIA HDMI or motherboard optical out). Info can be found here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1023992/geforce-drivers/-petition-add-5-1-7-1-dolby-digital-live-dts-connect-encoders-to-nvidia-hdmi-sound-drivers-/post/5921475/#5921475
I've tested it myself and works pretty good. Good luck!

And for the people coming here to view DTS or Atmos video/audio content. It's possible to convert those formats to DD5.1 via ffmpeg by using the following command: `ffmpeg.exe -i INPUT.mkv -map 0 -vcodec copy -scodec copy -acodec ac3 -b:a 640k OUTPUT.mkv`
Thanks a lot. This is very useful. I am still trying to make a decision on a soundcard, but will try this first and save myself 200$ if it works