Dolby Digital Plus on Beam surrounding

Badge

I have a TCL TV with roku built in and I used it with my Sonos beam with two One SL speakers as a 5.0 set-up. I connect the TV to beam through HDMI-ARC. I realize I can only receive surrounding TV audio when the output is dolby digital (e.g., the Dolby roku app), but not dolby digital plus (e.g., all other apps including netflix, hulu, disneyplus, etc.). How should I correctly set up my speakers or TV?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I have a TCL Roku as well.  Go into Settings.  Select Audio.  Select S/PDIF and ARC. Finally, select Dolby Digital. 

All Dolby Digital + sources will now play in regular Dolby Digital. 

Badge

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it. I went ahead and tried but it did not work. I can hear surrounding sounds when i play videos in the Dolby app, but not those TV shows that support Dolby in Netflix (I have a 4k premium Netflix plan, and I have 600 Mbps plan with Xfinity.)  I also tried to play video on youtube (5.1 Surround Sound Test) but I still could not hear sound (or feel the vibration when I touch) from my sounding speakers. The audio only came out from my beam. Did you have the same problem? 

My sounding speaks is not defective. They are fine when playing music, or play audio when using the Dolby app from TV as mentioned above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes Beam does not currently support dolby digital Plus

Badge

Is there a way to convert Dolby Digital plus to Dolby digital so that we can use on beam?

is Sonos planning to get Dolby digital plus on beam in the near future through hardware update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Only way to get Netflix working is if you can get the TV to transcode to dolby digital….look in sound output settings instead of the raw bitstream to set to dolby digital.   A lot of tv’s will transcode.

As far as future, right now the hope is that with S2 software coming in June that the additional memory available will allow for additional codecs.   No confirmation if that is case but on the wish list.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

On mine, the YouTube app will only transmit 2.0, however, with the settings I outlined above Netflix, Amazon, Disney, and all others convert to Dolby Digital 5.1. 

Not all apps or shows on Roku transmit in surround, some are 2.0 regardless of any settings you would change. 

Sonos hasn't upgraded the audio codecs it supports, so it's PCM stereo, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital 5.1, with no support for DTS or lossless audio formats. shareit vidmate

Sonos hasn't upgraded the audio codecs it supports, so it's PCM stereo, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital 5.1, with no support for DTS or lossless audio formats. 

Moderator edit: removed advertising link.

Dolby atmos is object based surround, Dolby Digital plus is an enhanced form of AC3 which is a lossy 5.1 track encoding. ... Atmos metadata can be attached to the 5.1 channel signal to be mixed over the top and give ATMOS height channel sounds. vidmate

Netflix series are available in Dolby Digital Plus, and some movies are available in Dolby Atmos with a 4K HDR image. ... Even better, Netflix uses the DD+ audio format to offer 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks with embedded Dolby Atmos metadata. With a compatible A/V receiver, an unprecedented audio experience is guaranteed.

VivaTV

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

It may be that som TVs will transcode Dolby Digital Plus to Dolby Digital. My experience is that most won't. I have seen some post that their Philips TVs does this but at least my Sony and LG sets haven’t been able to. 

My best advice is to get an Apple TV for streaming. It will transcode anything to DD 5.1 on the fly which the Beam will able to utilize. 

Don’t get your hopes up for Dolby Digital Plus on the Beam. There have been a lot of posts on this topic since the Beam was released and some speculated that DD Plus would come with S2 alongside the Sonos Arc. Unfortunately, while the Arc did come with support for DD Plus, none of Sonos’ existing products were upgraded to do the same. Not even the fairly new Sonos Amp. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My Samsung QE65Q90 also sends DD (not plus) to my Beam via HDMI-ARC from Netlix - so would my old UE46D8000.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

My Samsung QE65Q90 also sends DD (not plus) to my Beam via HDMI-ARC from Netlix - so would my old UE46D8000.

One thing is what the tv can do with build-in apps. Most TVs will happily play DD from Netflix using their build-in apps. However, from my experience, not many TVs will convert a DD Plus signal from e.g. a Chromecast to DD and the pass that on to the Beam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Au, right. I did not realise you meant DD+ From external sources.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Au, right. I did not realise you meant DD+ From external sources.

Yeah. The issue is really with the various streaming sticks which have no way of changing audio formats on their streams. As the default streaming option for surround on Netflix is DD+, many Chromecast-users simply cannot get a surround signal to their Beam/Amp/Playbar/Playbase from Netflix. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As was the case with my old UE46D8000 and Chromecast. Haven’t tested it with the new TV (I use Airplay on that).

The tv is a ancient Philip from 2007. It has HDMI but no ARC. The digital out doesn't seemed to work properly. I maybe willing to replace the TV, but unfortunately not every TV will downmix DD+ to DD through ARC, it's more likely to work through the digital out. TV do not explicitly state if they will downmix. snaptube for pc jiofi.local.html 

Badge

It seems that the patents on Dolby Digital (AC3) and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) have expired.

Wikipedia says “The full set of technical specifications for E-AC-3 (and AC-3) are standardized and published in Annex E of ATSC A/52:2012, as well as Annex E of ETSI TS 102 366 V1.2.1 (2008–08)”.

On a forum I found a link to a full list of Dolby patents for that . According to the poster, “The last U.S patent seems to be US6246345 which seems to have expired on 2019-07-08.”

If so, I suppose that adding Dolby Digital Plus support to the Beam would not result in extra licensing costs for Sonos. In fact, the Dolby Digital (plain, no plus) patents expired in 2017, so they have never had to pay to license those patents for the Beam, at least. They do probably have to pay to mention the trademarks Dolby has on DD and DD+, but as patents on both have expired, I cannot imagine that it’s more for DD+ than DD.

Now Sonos does have to license Atmos etc. from Dolby, and that probably comes with a lot of conditions such as “if you implement DD+ on any devices you can’t call it E-AC3, you have to call it DD+ and pay for the trademark”.

But apart from updating the firmware and opening a can of lawyers, Sonos could probably without too much cost add DD+ support to the Beam. Why don’t they?

It seems that the patents on Dolby Digital (AC3) and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) have expired.

Wikipedia says “The full set of technical specifications for E-AC-3 (and AC-3) are standardized and published in Annex E of ATSC A/52:2012, as well as Annex E of ETSI TS 102 366 V1.2.1 (2008–08)”.

On a forum I found a link to a full list of Dolby patents for that . According to the poster, “The last U.S patent seems to be US6246345 which seems to have expired on 2019-07-08.”

If so, I suppose that adding Dolby Digital Plus support to the Beam would not result in extra licensing costs for Sonos. In fact, the Dolby Digital (plain, no plus) patents expired in 2017, so they have never had to pay to license those patents for the Beam, at least. They do probably have to pay to mention the trademarks Dolby has on DD and DD+, but as patents on both have expired, I cannot imagine that it’s more for DD+ than DD.

Now Sonos does have to license Atmos etc. from Dolby, and that probably comes with a lot of conditions such as “if you implement DD+ on any devices you can’t call it E-AC3, you have to call it DD+ and pay for the trademark”.

But apart from updating the firmware and opening a can of lawyers, Sonos could probably without too much cost add DD+ support to the Beam. Why don’t they?

I think you answered you’re own question.  As you pointed out, Sonos can’t market that they have DD+ if they aren’t playing Dolby to do so.  Do you think Dolby is going to allow use of trademark, or even license use of codecs to Sonos if they see Sonos stealing other codecs, legally or otherwise?  I certainly would not if I were running Dolby.    Put a different way, Dolby would likely stop doing business with Sonos if Sonos was using dolby codecs and not paying for it, regardless of patent status. What about other businesses that Sonos deals with, you think they are going to be as willing to enter in with contracts with Sonos?  

If that’s actually what’s happening across the industry, no one is paying for DD  or DD+ anymore, then ok.  I seriously doubt that’s what’s happening though.  The only companies that are going to steal code like that are companies that have nothing to lose by doing so, either because they are too small to worry about or too big, like Google and Amazon, to litigate against.

Badge

You misunderstand me, I’m not proposing they should “steal” anything at all.

I just think that adding DD+ has become a lot cheaper, if not almost free, for Sonos. DD+ now has the same status as plain DD, and they probably are paying for that (for the trademark/logo) anyway.

Maybe I should have been clearer _why_ I posted this, that is, “why doesn’t Sonos add DD+ to the beam” since the answer “they are not going to pay the extra license costs for products that have already been sold” might not be valid anymore. I think it’s interesting.

And I don’t want to rehash the whole conversation, but the fact that I have an expensive surround set that can’t even play 5.1 surround from basically any streaming service is ridiculous. They should fix that.

If that’s actually what’s happening across the industry, no one is paying for DD  or DD+ anymore, then ok. 

Well I do think that it’s interesting that a Samsung TV from 2014 does not support Dolby Digital passthrough (so HDMI in → HDMI-ARC out to soundbar). Most TVs from that era didn’t. And starting in 2017, most TVs now _do_ support that. Note that the DD (AC-3) patents expired in 2017.

You misunderstand me, I’m not proposing they should “steal” anything at all.

No, you didn’t use the word steal, but said that since DD and DD+ were not protected by patents anymore, Sonos doesn’t have to pay for it.   

I just think that adding DD+ has become a lot cheaper, if not almost free, for Sonos. DD+ now has the same status as plain DD, and they probably are paying for that (for the trademark/logo) anyway.

But this is a complete guess. You’re assuming that Dolby has to lower fees now that their codec isn’t patent protected.  I don’t see why.   Why would DD and DD+ essentially be the same cost?  Obviously they are not worth the same to customers, since you are not satisfied with DD alone.

Maybe I should have been clearer _why_ I posted this, that is, “why doesn’t Sonos add DD+ to the beam” since the answer “they are not going to pay the extra license costs for products that have already been sold” might not be valid anymore. I think it’s interesting.

And I don’t want to rehash the whole conversation, but the fact that I have an expensive surround set that can’t even play 5.1 surround from basically any streaming service is ridiculous. They should fix that.

The Beam supports the same codecs it did when you bought it.  And I’ve never had an issue playing 5.1 from streaming source.    All this is beside the point, as you’ve started this up with the claim that dolby patents means that Sonos would be able to add DD+ to the beam for zero or low cost.

If that’s actually what’s happening across the industry, no one is paying for DD  or DD+ anymore, then ok. 

Well I do think that it’s interesting that a Samsung TV from 2014 does not support Dolby Digital passthrough (so HDMI in → HDMI-ARC out to soundbar). Most TVs from that era didn’t. And starting in 2017, most TVs now _do_ support that. Note that the DD (AC-3) patents expired in 2017.

That actually hurts your argument, not help it.  You’re providing an example where an older product isn’t getting a firmware update to modern standards.  I imagine you’re trying to say that DD passthrough started happening in 2017 because the patent expired. You’re probably mostly correct in this.  I’ve talked with other manufacturers of HDMI switches that have stated that you can passthrough Dolby without paying fees, but you can do any processing.  It’s why there are so many cheap HDMI switches available on Amazon.  But like I said, passthrough and processing Dolby codecs are not the same.

To be clear, I’m not saying that Sonos should or shouldn’t do this, as I don’t know the costs involved.  I certainly wouldn’t mind if they did (other than people then complaining that they can’t do atmos).  I’m just saying that I don’t think the Dolby patents dropping is proof that Sonos has zero or low licensing costs.  

Badge

I don’t want to argue. Everything that needs to be said has been said in this thread (and a few others as well).

I just wanted to make people aware that it is likely that Sonos could, if they wished, make DD+ available on the Beam, and that they, again, possibly, would not have to spend a lot on licensing for that. They should keep their customers happy (everybody is an influencer in this day and age!).

Yes Beam does not currently support dolby digital Plus

Yes, it doesn’t support Dolby digital plus.

I feel very happy reading your share! thank you!

unicorn coloring pages

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

The Beam ought to support DD+, for no other reason that the codec has become ubiquitous on streaming services/devices, and the hardware should be theoretically capable. A part of buying into Sonos is that while Sonos encourages us to expand our systems over time, we expect Sonos to keep improving the software capability and features.