Answered

Dolby Digital?

• 18 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Quick question regarding surround sound. I have an older Panasonic Viera, using Apple TV 4K, connected with hdmi and the through arc. I have sub, beam, two Sonos:1 for LS &RS. Sonos sounds great first of all! However, when I look at the about my Sonos, it’s always Stereo? I know Hulu isn’t in DD5.1, and that’s ok, because Sonos is so good at making it sound great. But for example through my movies I’ve purchased on iTunes, like Avengers that I know is DD5.1, it still comes in as stereo? Is it safe to assume that the older Panasonic doesn’t send the DD5.1 signal? Or am I missing something? If I need a new tv, I will, so any recommendations
icon

Best answer by controlav 18 January 2019, 15:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Some TVs will only send stereo over optical for HDMI inputs, because their engineers were confused about the HDCP rules. This can usually be fixed by adding one of these between the source device and the TV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the help! I’ll order one and see how it works. Sort of mind numbing that it’s hdmi but only stereo. Lol. So, to be clear, I’ll place this in between the Apple TV (source) and into the hdmi I’m on the tv? This might/should allow the tv to receive the digital sound? In which it will allow it to send it to the beam.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Yes. The Apple TV asks the TV "hey what can I send you?". The TV sees it is emitting optical, and erroneously replies "DD 2.0". Putting the box in between them overrides this reply with "DD 5.1". (The conversion also includes video information). This is called HDMI signaling.