Answered

Does S2 means DTS on Playbar

• 18 March 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Apparently we are getting a brand new app and OS for our Sonos kit later this year.
Does it mean Playbar will eventually get DTS support?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 18 March 2020, 21:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No one knows, until Sonos announces that possibility. Many of us hope so, but are also faced with the possibility that our TV’s can’t pass DTS via optical, and the PLAYBAR does not have an HDMI-ARC connection. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Stéphane Lenclud 

You might read the article in the link for a better understanding. Even though the article references “Increased Bandwidth” that does not necessarily mean adding of new Codecs (i.e. DTS etc.).

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

As @Airgetlam said “no one knows”.

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

DTS with optics is possible!  I think it is easier that they release a new playbar with atmos support

DTS with optics is possible!  I think it is easier that they release a new playbar with atmos support

Agree on this point.  Sonos has moved on from optical connections in new home theatre products, so I don’t see them spending much effort to improved functionality in an older product.  If they did add DTS to the playbar, I actually see that as I sign that a new playbar is not coming any time soon.

Not sure that I agree with that. I see the two options as distinct, with no interdependencies. i.e. they could add DTS to the PLAYBAR and still come out with a new version. One is a software change applied against all sound bars, the other is a new piece of hardware.

And, honestly, I could see it being added, and just not available on the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE, conceivably due to ‘issues’.  We’ll have to wait and see. 

Not sure that I agree with that. I see the two options as distinct, with no interdependencies. i.e. they could add DTS to the PLAYBAR and still come out with a new version. One is a software change applied against all sound bars, the other is a new piece of hardware.

Well, I would assume the majority of people who already own a playbar aren’t terribly interested in DTS...otherwise they would have a different soundbar.  So adding DTS would mostly be for people who don’t have a playbar currently.  If your going to also come out with a playbar 2.0, you’re sort of creating your own competition by creating more demand for the playbar 1.0.  Granted the 2.0 likely has other features to draw appeal, so perhaps it’s going to draw sales away from 2.0.   However what’s the benefit to Sonos to put DTS in the playbar?    They make money from sales, and they don’t need people to buy a playbar 1.0 if they have a playbar 2.0 available.  Other features they’ve added to existing products have had some impact to encourage customers to buy more speakers.  Not sure adding DTS to the playbar does that...if you have a newer replacement product coming.

And, honestly, I could see it being added, and just not available on the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE, conceivably due to ‘issues’.  We’ll have to wait and see. 

I don’t think they have to provide a reason to not add DTS to the playbar and playbase.  I know Sonos has set some expectations of additional features to older units, but it’s not a rule, and certainly not something companies necessarily adhere to.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

DTS does show up in the app under “About my system” when playing a Blu-ray with DTS, but no sound. 🙁.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I think we can all confidently forget about DTS on the Playbar, Playbeam or any Sonos product for that matter. 

The Arc is the absolute best that Sonos has to offer, introducing a vast expansion of supported codecs - but even that doesn’t support DTS. 

I think we can all confidently forget about DTS on the Playbar, Playbeam or any Sonos product for that matter. 

The Arc is the absolute best that Sonos has to offer, introducing a vast expansion of supported codecs - but even that doesn’t support DTS. 

It is hard to disagree with that judgement.  If not now, surely never.  (Well, never say never, but I think users should stop hoping...)