Answered

Does anyone have any direct experience with Samsung QLED and a 5.1 SONOS setup?

• 25 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Does anyone have any direct experience with Samsung QLED and a 5.1 SONOS setup? I just purchased a Samsung Q9 television. I'm wondering if the TV's optical port outputs a proper 5.1 signal to use in a home theater setup. The Playbar only uses Optical/TOSLINK so I need to be absolutely sure before I sink money into a SONOS system. Thanks for any help or advice!
icon

Best answer by Chris 25 January 2019, 20:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have mine setup via HDMI-Arc output to my Sonos Amp. I haven't tried the optical but I would highly assume it works fine.

If your really worried I could plug my playbar into it this weekend.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have mine setup via HDMI-Arc output to my Sonos Amp. I haven't tried the optical but I would highly assume it works fine.

If your really worried I could plug my playbar into it this weekend.

Thanks Chris, I don’t want you to go out of your way to do it. I hadn’t considered buying the amp as I didn’t really think I needed it. I was going to purchase the Connect down the road so I could hook up my record player. But as far as getting a 5.1 system set up, I just didn’t want to waste my money on a SONOS system if I wasn’t going to be able to get a 5.1 signal to the speakers via optical.

-John
I have the Samsung Q7 QLED and have been having audio syncing issues where the picture is ahead of the sound on all sources. I also use HDMI/ARC but was asked to attempt using the optical as part of the rectification process. This seemed to work exactly the same as the HDMI/ARC but did not resolve the audio sync issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you adjust the audio sync in the menu's (its adjustable on the QLED).
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wanted to chime in as I have a similar setup. I have the Samsung Q9F (love the TV, btw) and have zero lag via optical connection to the Playbase. There is indeed a setting buried in the Samsung menu where you can tweak the audio delay (I set it to zero). Note that before the Samsung, I had a slightly older LG LED (probably 5 years old or so) and there absolutely WAS a noticeable audio delay. I really wanted the LG OLED when it was time to upgrade, but after a lot of research here, I determined that I didn’t want to deal with the audio delay or have to worry about 3rd party splitters (that may neuter Dolby Vision / UHD, etc). So I went for the second best picture and ended up with the Q9. Happy to answer any questions on the setup, but as I’ve set I like it. I have the Playbase, Ones, and Sub, with Fios box and Apple TV routed through the Samsung One Connect box.