Digital volume indicator on Beam?

Userlevel 1
Is a Digital volume indicator available on the Beam with my LG tv?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This would be dependent on what your TV shows as far as info from an HDMI-CEC connected device. Some TVs might show volume level info, others might just show that they've sent a volume up or down signal to the device. Some might not show anything.

Given that Beam's official release is today, and yes I know there were some early shipments of it, there are very few people that have Beam at this point. You might want to provide your TV's model number, and maybe if someone else has the same, or similar, TV model, they can respond.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Mike. I have the LG 65UJ6300 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model). If there's any way to get a Volume indicator on the screen, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!
I would like this too.
Not showing bar or number on samsung too, only volume + -
Same issue here; very annoying! :S
A couple of days ago i sent an email to Sono's asking this very question. I have a LG OLED and like all only get the + and - sign for volume....My point is this , if Sonos can make a + and - sign appear on your tv screen, they can make a lot more show as well.... Their answer was that i should come on this board and discuss it with everyone else....So in other words, go away.. I feel as a group if we complain about it enough , we might get some upgrade to the software....Time will tell.
I have the same question. I have an LG 55SK8000 and I only see the + and - signs. I hope that Sonos will update their software to add the volume. I did notice however that the volume level is displayed on the Sonos app on my iPhone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
As stated that is dependent on the TV, not something Sonos can fix. You can talk to LG to see if they can address it.
It might be something LG can fix, but i doubt that they care, because they have their own sound coming from the TV itself... HOWEVER, Sonos does place a + and - on the TV and since i acquired the 2018 LG OLED it now has sound icon in between them which did not show on my 2016 LG OLED... If they can achieve that, they can achieve more...
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
That is incorrect, that is something displayed by the TV based on how it handles the HDMI CEC protocol. As explained above, there are users who have proper volume indication displayed while others have something more basic like you are seeing, and some have nothing at all. It is dependent on the TV, as you’ve seen yourself between the two LG models, and you would need to contact LG in order to address it. If you’d rather not then that’s your choice, but this has nothing to do with Sonos.
I understand what you are saying....But, like i said previously, LG is not going to come up with a fix for a third party soundbar system. No matter how much we paid for it... I do find it interesting that with my 2016 LG i could not mute the Sonos, but with the 2018 LG I can.....The same cable and connection was used on both models... I appreciate the input..
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
This isn't isolated to Sonos, this would apply to any device that works with the CEC protocol. If you search around you can find a lot of complaints about how various control mechanisms don't work/have issues, for various external devices, but it all comes down to the TV being used. Bottom line, the manufacturer should stand behind their TV, and the more that complain the better chance they would look into it.
Well, i suppose i should consider myself lucky. At least my LG/ Sonos combination does not suffer from any lip-sync problems.....
Badge
That is incorrect, that is something displayed by the TV based on how it handles the HDMI CEC protocol. As explained above, there are users who have proper volume indication displayed while others have something more basic like you are seeing, and some have nothing at all. It is dependent on the TV, as you’ve seen yourself between the two LG models, and you would need to contact LG in order to address it. If you’d rather not then that’s your choice, but this has nothing to do with Sonos. I have a panasonic TX-40DX700B. My previous Sony soundbase connected by arc-hdmi displayed volume digitally with no problem on the tv screen. My replacement Sonos beam does not. My family misses seeing the digital indication of volume level. Given the Sony sound base worked fine with the same tv, does this not imply that the problem lies with the Sonos Beam?
To make this discussion even stranger, Lately every once in a while in the morning when i turn on my LG tv, i see a vertical volume control on the right side of my tv screen with a red progress line. It appears for a couple of seconds then disappears leaving just the normal + and - control...... And no i'm not on drugs...
Not showing bar or number on samsung too, only volume + -
Did you find out?
Badge

That is incorrect, that is something displayed by the TV based on how it handles the HDMI CEC protocol. As explained above, there are users who have proper volume indication displayed while others have something more basic like you are seeing, and some have nothing at all. It is dependent on the TV, as you’ve seen yourself between the two LG models, and you would need to contact LG in order to address it. If you’d rather not then that’s your choice, but this has nothing to do with Sonos.

Can you list some of the TVs that show a digital volume indicator with the beam? Thanks.

A couple of days ago i sent an email to Sono's asking this very question. I have a LG OLED and like all only get the + and - sign for volume....My point is this , if Sonos can make a + and - sign appear on your tv screen, they can make a lot more show as well.... Their answer was that i should come on this board and discuss it with everyone else....So in other words, go away.. I feel as a group if we complain about it enough , we might get some upgrade to the software....Time will tell.

I agree with you. It is very annoying to be without the digital volume indicator and is the first thing I noticed.

Badge

Add me (and my family) to the list of customers who would appreciate this functionality. 

I also chimed in on LG’s forum here…

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4411/sonos-beam-volume-bar-on-lg-oled-b8

Jamal the LG moderator doesn’t seem very helpful but did eventually agree to escalate the issue. However his last update was June 2019. I am going to attempt escalating with LG support. 

Id also like this 

LG oled > Sonos Beam 

Is there anyupdate on this. Really interested to see the result as I am having the same issue.

Also have this issue with LG C9 55inch. Frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Jus trying to imagine why you would want this. To see what you are doing it is good to see you are adjusting up or down, but in my view appropriate volume levels are measured by your ears, not by telling you the level is 30 of 100. Why the need for this (in my view) uselessinformation?

My reason for wanting a volume number vs + and - is because I wear hearing aids. When I’m watching TV solo I have to increase the volume to my hearing. When I’m watching with my wife, I can’t adjust the volume to a certain predetermined level that isn’t deafening to her ears. Having a volume number displayed would aid in making Volume adjustments the same each time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I understand. Hadn’t thought about that. Then adjusting volume with the app is the only possibility. And petition LG…...