Did the S2 update really mess up adding a surround speaker?

• 24 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone, this is my first post because I usually get the best help through the customer service line, but this time I am stuck! I am fully invested in Sonos. I have 5 connect amps hardwired to 3rd party speakers, the sub, the beam, and the play bar. I recently bought the beam which I love and I added to the sub through the home theater setting. My issue is, I want to add a connect amp for the surround sound. I have the connect amp hard wired to the router and another ethernet wire to the beam, but when I click add surround I get this message- “ Two compatible speakers are required to add surrounds. Make sure your products are powered and connected to wifi”. I called customer support and they recommended I disable wifi on the connect amp an the beam so it just feeds off the ethernet wire, but it did not work. After min of trying they said, “well we have had issues with the S2 update and adding surround so you have to wait for us to fix it”. I am having trouble accepting this as a response, is this really the case? Does anyone have a work around?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @rls.stein.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

To better understand, kindly submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system,  it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless).

You may also check this article that shows how to set up your Connect: Amp to power rear surround speakers for your Sonos home theater.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Thank you for the quick response. 

Confirmation # 1050652280, I use a Verizon Fios router Model# G3100.

The Wireless router is connected with an ethernet wire to the Familyroom Connect Amp. The Family room connect amp is connect to the beam(TVdonwstairs) with an ethernet wire. My goal is to use the Family Room connect amp as the sorround for the beam(TVdownstairs).

Thanks

Rob 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.

Badge

@rls.stein I have the same problem and was told the same thing by Sonia support. I have trawled these forums and have failed to find a workaround. It’s been about two months now without surround sound. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @rls.stein.

Thanks for your reply and my apologies for the delayed response time.

I pulled up the diagnostic report you submitted but there are no registered players found on this household/system. There might be another Sonos system created under the same account. If you are still experiencing an issue, please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app when it happens and reply back with your confirmation number so I check your system further.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know, we’d be glad to help.

Hi @Gafferbee.

Thanks for reaching out, I’d be glad to help you out.

To check some data from your system, please send in a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you may have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

Badge

Hi @Annazel S and thanks for answering. My diagnostic number is 1506201769. Hopefully that helps, thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. The diagnostic shows that this is something that’s currently being worked on by the team. We are aware of this and we’re actively investigating.

Currently, the only possible workaround would be, if you have two identical non-stereo paired speakers in the household, see supported speaker here: Sonos products that can be used as surround speakers. This would make the Connect: amp appear in the app. We are looking forward to resolving this issue in a future update.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.