Answered

Considering SONOS for home theatre, what happens to my DTS media?

• 24 January 2018
  • 9 replies

Hiya,

I'm considering getting a SONOS Playbar, Sub, and two Play 1's for my home theater system. I'll primarily be watching movies on my Plex server, which contains ~1,000 of my own blu-ray rips. Needless to say there's a lot of DTS content on there.

I've heard SONOS doesn't support DTS, so what's going to happen when I want to watch my movies? Will the sound work at all? Will it sound terrible? Will Plex be able to transcode to a usable format? Etc. etc.
icon

Best answer by Chris 24 January 2018, 04:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What device do you use to stream from the Plex Server to TV?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here is one example - Plex does do transcoding

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/129662/force-transcode-of-dts-audio
What device do you use to stream from the Plex Server to TV?

I typically use my Roku 4, although I also have access to the PS4 and Xbox One clients.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
See above link regarding settings to transcode dts to dd5.1
So it seems my only option is to transcode to stereo? I feel like that kind of defeats the purpose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
If you try and feed it DTS you will just get silence.
Thanks for the replies. I ended up just buying some ELAC speakers and a receiver. After doing many hours of research, it appears that SONOS has no intention of supporting this stuff as they claim that their customers don't use DTS or TrueHD in most cases. Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Take note, SONOS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Good decision.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the replies. I ended up just buying some ELAC speakers and a receiver. After doing many hours of research, it appears that SONOS has no intention of supporting this stuff as they claim that their customers don't use DTS or TrueHD in most cases. Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Take note, SONOS.

Get a sonos connect, and attach it to your receiver, so that your new speakers are part of the sonos ecosystem