Question

Connecting Sony XBR65930D to Sonos Arc

• 2 August 2020
  • 9 replies

I have a 2016 Sony XBR-65X930D.  According to the specs, it has Dolby Digital Plus which according to Dolby, supports Dolby Atmos.  After finding this, I bought a Sonos Arc to get Dolby Atmos.  I have not been able to connect to Atmos. Not a single stream service (Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Disney+)  appear as having Atmos and movies that are D Atmos, doesn’t show the logo. All I can get is Dolby 5.1.   

• I'm using the Sonos 2 app. 
  • I updated the firmware of the TV to the latest (Android Oreo)
  • I have tried all possible sound settings on the TV including connecting to the HDMI ARC and the optical output
  • I set the speakers to Audio system

Can someone help me!???    Thanks!

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @luisjolivieri 

See you answers below.

Sonos Arc can connect to TVs with eARC, ARC, or optical outputs. For greatest compatibility, eARC is recommended.

If you connect to a TV with eARC, the Dolby audio formats supported include Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital.

If you connect to a TV using ARC, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital. An ARC connection cannot support TrueHD or MAT.

If you connect to a TV using the optical adapter, the Dolby audio formats supported are dependent on your TV model and manufacturer. The TV may be capable of sending Dolby Digital. An optical connection cannot support Dolby Atmos, TrueHD, MAT, or Dolby Digital Plus.

Cheers!

Just a few thoughts from my experience.

Make sure you have the highest tier of Netflix or the Atmos emblem will not appear. My tv Netflix app would show the Atmos emblem but no other app would. I would suggest trying a streaming device, in saying that I would not try Apple TV. I have a Apple TV 4K and it “will not” do Atmos for me but I recently tried a Nvidia shield tv 4K (the latest cylinder model) and I now have Atmos in Netflix and Disney+. I too have a non eArch tv and this has worked for me. Best of luck.

Just a few thoughts from my experience.

Make sure you have the highest tier of Netflix or the Atmos emblem will not appear. My tv Netflix app would show the Atmos emblem but no other app would. I would suggest trying a streaming device, in saying that I would not try Apple TV. I have a Apple TV 4K and it “will not” do Atmos for me but I recently tried a Nvidia shield tv 4K (the latest cylinder model) and I now have Atmos in Netflix and Disney+. I too have a non eArch tv and this has worked for me. Best of luck.

Hello Lst05:

Thank you for your reply.  I do have Netflix Premium.  I thought about the option of using a streaming device, actually, I thought about an Apple TV 4K and the Nvidia Shield TV 4k.  Thank you for telling me about not using the Apple TV.  How do you connect the Nvidia to the TV and to the Sonos.   I suppose it would be.     Nvidia (HDMI is only the option) to one of the regular HDMI on the TV and from the TV using the HDMI ARC to the Sonos Arc. 

Even though my 4 years old TV is supposed to be Dolby Digital Plus, I’m afraid that is not Atmos compatible or capable.  I’m wondering if in this case the going through it if it will pass the Atmos signal through.     

Once again THANK YOU!

The connection path you suggested is correct, Sonos to HDMI Arch and the streaming device to another HDMI input. I would say you have a pretty good chance to get it to work with the shield, just make sure it is the latest version. If it works it cost $150 instead of buying a new tv.

I hope you can get it going without having to buy a new tv….best of luck!

The connection path you suggested is correct, Sonos to HDMI Arch and the streaming device to another HDMI input. I would say you have a pretty good chance to get it to work with the shield, just make sure it is the latest version. If it works it cost $150 instead of buying a new tv.

I just ordered a Shield online from Best Buy and will be ready for pick up in about 1 hour.  I will let you know if it works.  I really hope so.  My wife will KILL me if I mention “we” need a new TV.  :-)

I just ordered a Shield online from Best Buy and will be ready for pick up in about 1 hour.  I will let you know if it works.  I really hope so.  My wife will KILL me if I mention “we” need a new TV.  :-)

Ok… got the shield, installed, and set it up.  Still no Atmos on my Sonos Arc. My guess is that I’m missing a setting I need to change on the TV or my TV doesn’t support Atmos and is filtering the signal from getting from the Shield to the Sonos Arc.  Anyway, Thank you for the recommendation. 

If you or any other have a suggestion it will be appreciated.  As I said, for now, my wife is not going to go for the suggestion of getting a new TV.  :-(     

I’m not sure how your tv menu is setup but if it’s similar to mine(I own a Sony tv also) you can try this and see if it helps.

settings-sound-sound adjustments-advanced settings-input related and make sure it says Dolby Digital plus. the next thing is…

settings-external inputs-HDMI signal format-and select enhanced format and make sure the shield is plugged into one of the designated inputs.

I go to the Input related and the only option I get is Dolby Dynamic Range. Dolby Digital Plus is not an option.  I looked for info on the Sony site and there is a section on “How do I set Dolby Dynamic Range?” There is a note at the end, “Note: This setting affects Dolby Digital®, Dolby Digital Plus™, and Dolby® AC-4 sound sources.”     I guess, that even though there is no DD+ listed, it’s covered by the Dolby Dynamis Range.  

By the way, after going back and forward with the Shield, I was able to get it to display the D-Atmos logo on Disney+, but regular 5.1 going to the Sonos Arc.  

I’m getting close to the point of packing the Sonos Arc and taking it back.  :-(. 

Unfortunately that may be what you have to do

:(  If you do take it back look for a soundbar that has a HDMI input as well as an output and you will be able to bypass the whole issue, because at that point you plug the shield directly to the soundbar then the soundbar to the tv, so the soundbar does all the work. In a perfect world the Arc would be a great soundbar, but we don’t live in a perfect world.