Connecting Playbar to Denon receiver with other AV products attached (Blu-Ray, turntable)

• 26 October 2020
  • 3 replies

What I have:

• Playbar (birthday gift from an Sonos-phile)
  • OPPO BDP-103
  • Legacy turntable
  • Legacy Mitsubishi 1080P HDTV (to be replaced)
  • Denon X1000-W receiver
  • Klipsch 2.1 speakers and sub
  • DishTV and Roku

It seems that in reading about connecting the Playbar to multiple sources, it will be a difficult road to connect everything to Playbar, Denon and legacy speakers.  Some preliminary questions:

• Would Sonos Connect/Port help connecting the Denon, components and Playbar?
  • Would it be appropriate to try to segregate Playbar to HDTV, Dish and OPPO (video connected to Playbar) and receiver/audio only components (connected to receiver)?
  • I’ve seen references to physical switches.  Any help?
  • Finally, I have two nice Sonos One speakers that would be nice to integrate instead of the Klipsch.  I’m sure that is another complexity that won’t work or I might not want to tackle.

So, I’m just starting out on this journey, and I want to do what’s possible to integrate these various components and know what is not going to work.  References to other articles or your recommendations are welcomed.  Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @azgolfguy00, welcome to the Sonos Community! I appreciate you reaching out here and with the details of your concern. Just to let you know that our soundbars like your Playbar are designed to be connected directly to the TV using the optical cable provided in the box. If you want to integrate your third-party receivers and amplifiers into Sonos, you can use our Sonos Port. About the other devices, you can connect it to your receivers/amplifiers because Sonos Playbar should always be connected to your TV or preferred source and Sonos Port will allow you to connect two output devices using RCA and digital connection but you can only use it one at a time. We also have a Sonos Amp that allows you to directly connect third-party speakers using banana plugs. All Sonos products can be grouped in the Sonos app and play the same audio at the same time.

We can also wait for other’s opinions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I think I will just start with TV, Dish and Blu ray player connected to Playbar and not worry about the receiver for a start.  Then I might just use the receiver for the other components (turntable, music server) for audio through the Klipsch speakers and have 2 separate systems.  

I have 2 Sonos One’s just purchased, and I suppose that I might want to try to connect those to the the Playbar as “other speakers”.   Since Playbar is front right/left/center channels, I’m not sure what trying to connect the other two Sonos does to simulate 5.1 if they can be connected to either system.  I’ll read up on Port and Amp.

Do I want to try to set up a subwoofer or Sonos One’s to the Playbar via Port?  Might there be a switch to the subwoofer that switches it from receiver to Playbar.  So many questions….:-)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @azgolfguy00, thanks for your reply and no problem, I’d be happy to answer your questions. 

Yes, just connect the Playbar to your TV using an optical connection and connect your other source device to your TV. 

Another yes for the Sonos Playbar with 3 audio channels (front left, front right, and center) and adding surround speakers or Sub, would create a 5.1 system with 3 main audio channels (front left, front right, and center), 2 rear (left and right) channels, and 1 subwoofer channel.

It depends on how you want to use the two Sonos One, you can use it as surround speakers or add it as a regular room or stereo pair in the same household or system. 

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.