Answered

Connecting BenQ Projector to PLAY 1 speaker(s)

• 9 May 2019
  • 6 replies

I just bought a BenQ HT2050A 1080P Home Theater Projector with HDMI ports and was wondering how I could hook up my PLAY 1 (1st generation) to it. Is it possible? Do I need to purchase additional input/output cables or accessories to achieve this?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 May 2019, 05:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There are no audio line-in for the PLAY:1, so you'd absolutely need to get additional hardware.

Do you intend to get a full 5.1 signal, or are you just looking for stereo?
I'm looking to purchase a second PLAY 1, so stereo is really all I'm going to do, since this is meant for the occasional time when I want to watch it in bed without committing to a TV in my room at all times.
OK, for stereo, you wouldn't have to get a soundbar, you could go with a simple CONNECT. You'd need to pull the audio out of the BenQ in some fashion, as a stereo signal. I'm assuming it has a headphone output, that would probably be best. You'd run a stereo cable from the headphone output to the line-in on the Sonos CONNECT. That would get the audio into the Sonos ecosystem, and you could then play it on the PLAY:1s

It is relatively important to note that there is a delay of around 75ms on any analog input in to the Sonos ecosystem, so your speakers would have a significant delay between the video and the audio. What you're trying to do is not recommended, especially if you're sensitive to lipsync. It's why Sonos makes the soundbar solutions, which all have digital inputs, so that you don't have to have that analog input delay.
And let me be even more clear. I told you how to do this. I do not recommend this as a solution.
Yikes… all that will run me the cost of the projector itself! Thanks for your in-depth answer… I guess I will start by seeing how the projector sounds on its own and then bite the bullet on non-Sonos speakers that just hook up directly to it. 😕
If you want real sound from the projector, you really need to get a sound bar that will work with the projector. Don't try to "make it fit", do it correctly, and you'll be infinitely happier.

The issue with projectors and sound systems is that the projector wants to be in the rear of the room, and the sound system wants to be in the front. Not terribly conducive.