Answered

Connect:amp and existing speakers in Home Cinema

• 14 March 2018
  • 1 reply

We are building a brand new home from scratch. One room will be a TV and music room and I want decent sound. I have a connect:amp and a pair of Monitor Audio BX5 floor standing speakers. These currently act as my speakers for TV and music. I am now trying to design the room but am non-technical and am confused by the options. My local reseller says "sell the speakers" and buy new stuff but it seems a waste. I have the opportunity to wire the room however I decide but am really not sure what is best. I like good sound but I'm not obsessive. I want surround sound and would like to use what I have in some way. Help!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 14 March 2018, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

If you want to use Sonos in a surround sound/tv environment, you'll really need to use either a playbase or playbar connected to the tv. You can then add a SUB for bass and a pair of sonos speakers for the rear surrounds. Alternatively for the surround you can use your connect:amp to power speakers for the rear, as long as the connect:amp is wired to your network. That would allow you to use your existing speakers in the setup...but honestly, that doesn't sound like a good setup. Your BX5 would not make good rear surrounds.

If you wanted to have your tv audio play through the CONNECT:AMP, you could do this. However, there would likely be an annoying delay between the audio and video, and you would not get surround sound.

So in this regard, yes, it makes sense to sell your existing speakers. However, using Sonos isn't always the best answer. For one thing, since this is new construction, having a wireless system is probably not as important to you. You may want to consider getting a traditional receiver, sub, surrounds, and center channel to go with your existing speakers. If you like being able to control music through sonos, you could get a sonos CONNECT and use that as input to this receiver.

You really have options here. A lot of it depends on what features are important to you. Assuming your room is not open to other rooms, I probably would go with the second option, and separate receiver and such. I think it would give you more of theatre sound, probably won't cost any more than all Sonos, and will allow for future changes/upgrades. Since you already have a connect:amp and this is new construction, I'd setup some outside speakers wired to the connect:amp. It's easier to do now than it will be in the future. Really, if your a fan of speakers in the ceilings and it fits the budget, I'd wire/install speakers everywhere I might want them.