Answered

Confused...so does Sonos my beam support 5.1 or not?

• 16 January 2019
  • 2 replies

I've tried everything trying to get 5.1 surround. I even bought a new TV, I have the beam and two play 1's (okay 5.0). Beating my head against the wall for weeks trying to figure this out, I stop feeding the optical chord to my TV and I buy a fosom splitter to go directly to my PC, the option to go 5.1 is finally no longer grayed out on my PC. I select it and I can' wait to hear my sound test....low and behold, still no 5.1. After countless digging I'm now hearing optical chords don't support 5.1, but instead mixes down to a 2.1. But that can't be true because SONOS said 5.1. So which is it?

Does my Beam support 5.1 dd or not?
Is it the optical chord that's down mixing 2.1?
Will buying an HDMI splitter fix this annoying problem?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 January 2019, 06:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Yes, the Beam supports 5.1. Assuming it's getting a signal.

Yes, optical cords will carry a Dolby Digital signal.

Not sure what your issue is, so it's hard to say whether getting an HDMI splitter will help or not.

My guess is that you're still not sending out a Dolby Digital signal out of your PC. It's not an uncommon problem, many video cards have a lot of difficulty in doing so. It might be trying to send DTS, or maybe just stereo PCM. You need to contact the maker of either the PC, or the card that you're using to drive this signal and ask them how to get Dolby Digital out of the HDMI.

Try connecting a DVD player to your TV, and play a DVD. See if your Beam then is playing Dolby Digital, you can look in "about my Sonos System" in the settings area, and it should be listed under Audio In in the area under the Beam speaker.
Yes, the Beam supports 5.1. Assuming it's getting a signal.

Yes, optical cords will carry a Dolby Digital signal.

Not sure what your issue is, so it's hard to say whether getting an HDMI splitter will help or not.

My guess is that you're still not sending out a Dolby Digital signal out of your PC. It's not an uncommon problem, many video cards have a lot of difficulty in doing so. It might be trying to send DTS, or maybe just stereo PCM. You need to contact the maker of either the PC, or the card that you're using to drive this signal and ask them how to get Dolby Digital out of the HDMI.

Try connecting a DVD player to your TV, and play a DVD. See if your Beam then is playing Dolby Digital, you can look in "about my Sonos System" in the settings area, and it should be listed under Audio In in the area under the Beam speaker.

I thought it was my video card but I thought that was resolved I'll try again. I will look into this again and try your suggestions, thanks.