Chromecast w Google tv audio output

• 20 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi there,

I have a LG TV and use a Google Chromecast with Google tv to stream tv. I recently bought a Beam gen 2 and 2 Sonos one that I set them up as a surround system. The Beam is connected to the ARC port and Google tv to standard HDMI.

When I watch Netflix using Google tv the audio output is Stereo PCM but if I watch the same movie using the Netflix app buildin the LG TV the audio output is Dolby Atmos 5.1 . My tv only support Netflix and Prime so this is an issue for me.

Does anyone else have the same issue and or a solution or suggestions?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

So you can get Dolby Atmos from your TV’s native Netflix app but only stereo PCM from the Netflix app on the Chromecast. What exactly is the problem? What other apps are you wanting to get Dolby Atmos from? What model is your LG TV?

Hi there,

I have a LG 42lb6500 (2014). 

My issue is that I use a number of different app to stream tv via Google tv and I would like to receive Dolby Atmos from all of them (if supported).

My tv only have Netflix and Prime built in.

I would like to know if this is and issue the my TV or Google Chromecast or if I'm doing anything wrong with the set up

Thanks

Userlevel 7

In your original post, did you mean to say that you get Dolby “Digital” 5.1 from the TV’s native Netflix app, not Dolby “Atmos” 5.1?

Since you have an older TV, it is probably unable to pass through Dolby Atmos and probably even Dolby Digital audio from external media devices. I have a TV from 2013 and it is limited to only playing stereo PCM from external media devices too.

You have two options:

1. Get a new TV that can pass through Dolby Atmos from external media devices - preferably a TV equipped with HDMI eARC.

2. Get the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that will allow the Chromecast to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Beam. I use the Arcana with my old TV and Sonos Arc and it works great:

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Thank you!

I was thinking about to an Apple TV 4K to overcome this issue.

Do you think the Arcana is my best option?

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Userlevel 7

If you want to keep your TV, the Arcana is pretty much your only option.

The Chromecast will work with the Arcana. But the Apple TV 4K has the most apps that support Dolby Atmos audio. The Nvidia Shield is another good option.

If you want to connect more than one device to the Arcana, you will need an HDMI switch. This ROOFULL switch works well with the Arcana:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CF793HQ/

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since the Chromecast is mentioned - wasn’t the problem with the Chromecast that it is always using DD+ that the Beam Gen 1 could not process, so TV’s would revert to PCM stereo? I would have thought this would have been solved by de DD+ capable Beam Gen 2. Reading the first post by @Rafaelpeco it does not seem to be when the TV is not capable of passing through DD+. So another hick up…..

Which does make me think: does the TV have a pass through sound option? Would this help?

I was thinking the same, when I use the TV without the Chromecast I'm getting Dolby Digital 5.1 so the TV is capable. The problem is when I use the Chromecast with Google TV.

I'm not sure how to fix this issue, would be a 4k Apple TV fix the issue or should I get a the Arcana or something like that.

Userlevel 7

See my last response. The Arcana is the only option unless you want to purchase a new TV.

Thanks 🙂