Chromecast Netflix and Sonos Playbar -- The Saga Continues

• 14 March 2019
  • 1 reply

I've spent hours researching how to play a Netflix show, through Google Chrome Browser (on a Mac), through a Chromecast streaming device.

I then need to split the HDMI signal coming out of Chromecast to (A) HDMI visual signal to an EPSON projector, and (B) optical audio to a SONOS Playbar.

Couple keys for those having issues:

1. Every audio output up to the SONOS Playbar needs to be providing a "Dolbly Digital 5.1" signal. You need to backtrace all the way to your original source.

Here is what Netflix Customer Support wrote me:
DD 5.1 surround sound is not currently supported while streaming on a computer using Microsoft Silverlight or HTML5 (this refer to browsers of all kinds). However, it is supported in the Netflix app for Windows 8 and Windows 10.

Click the "Dialogue" box in the show/movie you're watching. Make sure it is set to "ENGLISH - 5.1"
Otherwise it won't work.

2. Your Chromecast device also needs to be putting out DD 5.1
-- I haven't tried to troubleshoot this step yet. TBD.

3. If you are converting your HDMI signal from Chromecast (or whatever else is your signal source) the Optical Audio Output needs to be DD 5.1

Here's one device on Amazon that seems to help make this happen:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H54G5QZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just ordered it. I'll let you know how it goes!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

To connect Sonos optical out to Chromecast video and Chromecast HDMI to a projector -- your post set me on the right track but the item to buy is likely an HDMI switch with optical S out

https://www.amazon.com/ZAMO-Switcher-Bandwidth-Dolby-TrueHD-Dolby-AC3/dp/B07M62RQKN/

This way you connect the HDMI from your projector to the switch and then one of the ports on the switch to the Chromecast for video. Then connect your Sonos optical cable to the switch. I am assuming this will work and will try.

My current method to achieve projector video and Sonos audio and streaming such as Netflix, is to connect the projector HDMI to a PS4 and the PS4 optical connects to the Sonos. Boom.

Hope this helps.