Can't find settings after installing new router

• 22 October 2016
  • 10 replies

I just installed a new router in my home that uses the same SSID and password as my previous router. I thought that the change would be seamless, but I discovered after some reading that each of the Sonos devices needs to be rebooted in order to establish a new IP address. Fine enough.

Even after rebooting, my app doesn't find any of the speakers.. In my research to fix the problem, I keep getting referred to this webpage: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/kw/router/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MDU3MjgzMC9zaWQvaHRFOHMxOWw%3D?_ga=1.215131415.1661518574.1477007588

On this page, in Step 4, it suggests that I need to go to Settings | Advanced Settings | Wireless Setup, but I can't find this anywhere! When I open up the app, I just see a page that says "Sorry, we can't connect to Sonos". I click on "This isn't working" at the bottom, and it gives me options to call support, connect with the Community, or check out Common Fixes. There are More Options at the bottom, which includes Wireless Setup, which then instructs me to find the same Settings | Advanced Settings | Wireless Setup. How do I get to this mythical "Settings"?

My equipment:
Sonos BOOST
Play:1
Play:3
iPhone (5S, iOS 10)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Also, I do have my BOOST connected to my router through ethernet.
Also, I do have my BOOST connected to my router through ethernet.
In that case forget about Advanced Settings | Wireless Setup. It's not relevant.

After installing your new router did you reboot (or alternatively disconnect/reconnect) every single device on your network, not just Sonos? They all need fresh address information from the replacement router.
I didn't do every single device because it seems like most reconnected to the network without issues. So I need to reboot every single device, even if it's working? Do I need to unplug all of them, and then plug back in one at a time? Or is it sufficient to reboot individually?
There's a risk that devices may still be holding onto old IP addresses, which could clash with new ones that the router will be allocating. You can reboot (or disconnect/reconnect e.g. turn WiFi off/on) devices individually.
I've rebooted all wireless devices in my home, and I still don't see any speakers when I open the app on my phone. Is there anything else that might help my speaker returned to the Sonos app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've rebooted all wireless devices in my home, and I still don't see any speakers when I open the app on my phone. Is there anything else that might help my speaker returned to the Sonos app?

Make sure the BOOST is wired into the new router directly, and check that the router's lights indicate there's a good connection there.

Then on your phone turn off wifi, then reconnect and make sure it's going to the new router (the same one the BOOST is wired to). If you haven't unplugged the old router make sure you do that. You might even want to unplug any access points you might have just to make sure.

If your app doesn't locate the system at this point, and I'm assuming you're seeing the screen that says it can't find your system, not the one where you see the BOOST but not the players, you'll want to try a different controller.

Do you have a computer that's wired to the network? Try that out.

Also, what's the model of your new router?
Userlevel 7
Try this...If you can...go to your Wifi settings on your phone tell it to forget the network and re-enter your settings (i.e. setup Wifi on your phone again). Let us know what happens.

Also make sure you have updated the Sonos Controller to v6.4 and that there aren't any Sonos firmware (system) updates you haven't taken.

Cheers!
Badge
I don't understand why a system like this that is suppose to be so great is so complicated to navigate . Perhaps its because this company is into over pricing & profit dollars instead of putting a system together that is easy to operated . New router easy to hook up iPhone, iPad, TV , & laptops ....... a Sonos sound system extremely complicated .
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not really, just a couple easy steps covered in the tech support site if you type "new router" into the search bar.