Answered

Can I get Airplay with this home theater setup?

• 20 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I have the following 3 “rooms” in my house:

1. Deck - Sonos Amp connected to two outdoor speakers (I can use Airplay to connect to the Deck)
  2. Living Room - Sonos Five (I can use Airplay to connect to the Sonos Five)
  3. Family Room - ~5 year old Sonos Playbar, two Sonos One SLs surrounds, and Sonos Sub.  This is the “home theater”. While the SLs are Airplay compatible, since the Playbar is NOT, and is the “main” speaker, unfortunately I cannot get Airplay in this room.
  4. Bonus “Room” - I have a Sonos Roam as well

Besides replacing the Playbar with a Playbase or buying an additional Sonos Port, any “hack” I can use to get Airplay in the Family Room, but not lose the surround sound setup.  Thank you

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 October 2022, 01:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Send the AirPlay 2 signal to one of your AirPlay 2 capable speakers, and group the PLAYBAR with it. 

I used to do this on a regular basis.  I still do it with a couple of older PLAY:1s, which are not AirPlay 2 capable. 

Note: AirPlay 2 is stereo only, and not a Dolby Digital signal. 

Badge +1

Send the AirPlay 2 signal to one of your AirPlay 2 capable speakers, and group the PLAYBAR with it. 

I used to do this on a regular basis.  I still do it with a couple of older PLAY:1s, which are not AirPlay 2 capable. 

Thank you.  Silly question - I’m not home for a few days so can’t test it, but I am curious.  Let’s say I group the Living Room with the Family Room.  Will it stay “sticky” when I am not in the Sonos App.  Meaning if me or anyone in my house, for example opens a YouTube video on their phone, and then airplays the audio to “Living Room”, will it automatically play on Family Room as well, since I made that Group?

Thank you.  Silly question - I’m not home for a few days so can’t test it, but I am curious.  Let’s say I group the Living Room with the Family Room.  Will it stay “sticky” when I am not in the Sonos App.  Meaning if me or anyone in my house, for example opens a YouTube video on their phone, and then airplays the audio to “Living Room”, will it automatically play on Family Room as well, since I made that Group?

Yes, the rooms should stay grouped, but perhaps also see this link which you might find useful too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391